Freecycled Fifty - Modified Saddle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
OK, first off, sorry I haven't been around here lately, Spring is my busiest time of year as I am getting ready for all my Summer activities at church, in fact, on Thursday after lunch I drove around 9 hours to go see this Summer's mission trip site in Chattanooga, TN, wasn't even there for 24 hours before leaving Friday around 3pm to drive the 9 hours home, it was on that long trip that I realized it was May and the build-off had began! Oh noes!

This will be my 4th build-off and it's always fun. Since I needed another bike like I needed another hole in the head I decided to "Go Green" this year and just build something I already had with as much stuff that I don't have to buy and that was probably given to me for free (or that I can justify as being free).

So, let's begin.

I went out in the shop today to dig out my 1950 Columbia, it's back there behind the Honda 50 Mini Trail and Yamaha QT50.
A2D8459C-438F-4262-9851-2CB62E812253.jpg

Once out of the pile:
4A2D7EA7-EC51-447C-B4D7-DA59F05CC8B5.jpg

This was the bike that reignited my passion for pedal powered travel. I built this bike about 4 years ago when I moved to this city. The frame and wheelset you see on it above were given to me for free. I bought parts and scrounged to get it together to put a gas engine on it. A friend saw the bike in all it's flat black, red wheels, and whitewall tire glory and pointed me to this forum... the rest is history. I have stolen parts off of the bike and it's been neglected... time to start over.

My brother-in-law found these peaked fenders in a shed of his (his grandfather use to own a bicycle shop) and gave them to me, I love them exactly how they are, just need to find or build some fender braces for them.
AB0758EE-0A9B-4B0E-94CE-86E56042D492.jpg

This is the wheelset and tires I will be using. Back in build-off #7 I built a German made JC Higgins with a Thompson bottom bracket. The BB spindle was worn out and I needed a new one. At the time I could order one from overseas for about $40, instead while on vacation in Pennsylvania I bought a women's German made JC Higgins with a Thompson BB for $40, all I needed was the BB, so I will justify that these wheels and tires were free.
54ACF0F5-CBFD-4A8F-8AA2-D49E81476AF1.jpg

Komet Super coaster brake:
3B5870DC-2A7A-46F0-AC2B-F06D76ED1C6B.jpg

Will be my first time using antique tires on a build, gotta swap the fat one to the back rim and the skinny up front:
DAE1E8C8-86F8-47FC-8D00-4FA9EF96D055.jpg

Taking everything off the frame:
B0036258-A406-4D00-82FA-99A59BC6A465.jpg

Now time to remove the paint:
E37DFB52-D596-4FC9-843E-437EE11C714A.jpg

Bye bye cool lettering (not original, I did it based on a photo online, when the frame was given to me it had been sandblasted, so I had no way of knowing what "trim level" the bicycle originally came in):
758D2D4E-183F-49B8-BC23-CD05DA9EF3BA.jpg

Stripper did alright:
178B4E6B-6BC4-4736-82F7-263546B894A2.jpg

Wire wheel finished the job:
1B79B15F-6CF0-47DF-86B1-039BE554E458.jpg

Quick mock-up:
6059FF40-66CA-4256-AA7E-A3843C8344EE.jpg

First impressions:
-I'm excited about using the old tires.
-I was planning on painting the frame to match the fenders, but every time I've painted over a frame I took down to bare metal, I've wish I had left it bare, so I think the paint will be used elsewhere.
-I'm already dreading picking bars for this one.
-I'm excited about the tank I'm building, can't wait for you all to see what I have planned.

Awesome! Glad to see you in the build off this year and back on the forum! I'll be watching this one for sure. ;)

You have pretty good start under way.

Looks great. If it were mine I'd leave the wheels rusty, too. Cool bike.

furyus

I checked the wheels... pretty sure that's not rust, I think it's "patina."

I am such a rookie loser. Ahem... if it were mine I'd leave the patina on the wheels.

furyus

Actually that bare metal contrasts pretty well with the fender color as it is.
I would leave the wheel patina as well.
Welcome back. You already have more done in one post than I have.

He lives!
Komet Super, my favorite hub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for early compliments guys. I usually don't like to talk about my ADHD, but since I am, if anyone else is distracted by anything going on in the background of any of my photos, we can talk about it. I'm more off-topic than on-topic, and looking at my photos, I'm not taking much time this year to "stage" them, I'm just building a bike, not out to do a big production this year.

Way cool start! Cant wait to see the tank your making!

Back