Freak's "Gray Ghost" -gotta light?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all... here's a few pics of my latest work-in-progress.
Started out with a Murray Westport that my friend had in his shed...
DSC01908_zpse5769377.jpg

Got her home and washed off all the dust and crud...
DSC01911_zps6cce70e8.jpg

The fenders were really rusty, plus they were bent and rubbing the tires. So I stripped the bike to the bare essentials, and mocked-up a different set of bars.
DSC01918_zps3267a6a3.jpg

I hopped on it (first time on a bicycle in 25 years!) and went for a ride around the block.
Then I tore it down.
DSC01922_zps5239a6c5.jpg

90243460-1233-4cd1-bf4a-defe0447864d_zpscb8a1fac.jpg

I didn't take pictures while sanding and painting... I'm not that coordinated!
Frame and forks drying... I was going to originally paint the bike matte black, but I had this can of gray paint. Hmmmm....
DSC01934_zps65c51138.jpg

I did use the matte black for the wheels, crank, stem, and sprocket. I swapped the original sprocket for a 36 tooth off an old Huffy (this thing ain't built for speed!) Drying on the rack...
DSC01931_zps59cd56a3.jpg

Frame painted and ready to assemble...
DSC01940_zps6bbe8686.jpg

Starting to look like a bike again... Greased everything good while putting the crank and headset together!
DSC01946_zpsb5981d3a.jpg

The original spring seat cleaned up nicely. I might paint the bottom one day.
DSC01939_zps4945f648.jpg

Added new wide whites, and some new grips. The horn is for making my wife and daughter laugh.
And here she is... for now...
DSC01955_zpsea642e62.jpg

DSC01951_zps7a33baf6.jpg

DSC01950_zps11d01a08.jpg

As for the name, "Gray Ghost", the other evening just before dark, I took her for a quick ride around the block. It amazed me how quiet the bike was. Riding silently through the evening shadows is a ghostlike experience indeed.

I'm thinking of adding a 3-speed hub, and maybe building a tank and lights for it, but at the same time, I like the clean look. If I do anything else to her, y'all will be the first to know! :mrgreen:

Re: Freak's "Gray Ghost" -new pix with rack and bags!

Hi y'all, got some new pictures for you...
Got tired of juggling my soda when I rode down to the corner store, so I put together a rack to use some old saddlebags I had on hand. Built the rack out of some old fender struts and a wire handle from a long-gone pizza stone.
Here's one of the old, rather nasty, saddlebags...
DSC01976_zps705be730.jpg

Gave them a good cleaning, and set 'em aside. I cut the old fender strut in half, and started mocking up.
Here's what I came up with... I played around with the angle of the struts for a while, and matching the angle of the seat post looked best to my eyes.
DSC01984_zps7b61466a.jpg

I kinda liked how the rack sat down low over the back tire, so I hung one of the bags to see how they looked.
DSC01986_zps46df9eb2.jpg

The bags were a perfect fit! I measured where the struts needed to be trimmed, flattened, and drilled, and after cleaning up with some steel wool turned out pretty good.
DSC01989_zpsdde65535.jpg

I used some small U-bolt cable clamps to attach the struts to the top of the rack. Bolted everything back on the bike, attached the bags, and here's the result...
DSC01995_zpscd7fb42c.jpg

DSC01993_zps3d73e944.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised with the overall look- the bags seem to "float" when viewed from the side of the bike due to the wheels and the bags both being black.

Not bad results for a few hours on the weekend, and a cost of... ZERO! :D

I just might have to come up with some lights now!

Re: Freak's "Gray Ghost" -new pix with bags!

Thanks for the compliments, guys! :D

Thanks for the kind words, y'all! :D

Been playing around with some ideas for headlights... found some interesting stuff in the garage that just might work when put together! I don't want to overdo it on this bike, I'm trying to keep it clean.

At least for now :roll:

VERY cool! Way to breathe some new life into an old cruiser.
And yeah, I think a headlight would be a great addition -

Got around to building a headlight for the Gray Ghost. It's great when you run across some odd parts that work good together!

Started with this:
DSC01998_zps28339406.jpg

I used the bottom of a metal candlestick for the headlight housing, an Eclipse mints tin for the battery box, a lens from a 6-volt lantern, a 9-LED unit from a cheap flashlight, a small on-off switch, and the old metal front reflector bracket.
First I cut a hole for the switch in the Eclipse tin with my trusty Dremel tool, and drilled holes for the wires and for mounting.
Then I sanded and painted the bracket and battery box and painted them satin black... let 'em dry a couple days and bolted them together.
DSC01999_zps0404d4af.jpg

Switch installed
DSC02015_zps65efc0c4.jpg

While the paint was drying, I worked on the rest of the light. I polished the candlestick base inside and out, drilled a small hole for the wires, and glued the LED's and reflectors in place.
DSC02012_zps7ef486aa.jpg

The lens mounting was a little tricky. There are 3 lugs on the housing that required me to cut notches in the lens to match. Then I took the Dremel tool and cut a notch in each lug, just in front of where the lens fit the housing. I cut a piece of stiff wire and used it as a snap ring to retain the lens. You can see how it fits together here:
DSC02013_zpsc5cd051e.jpg

Here's the completed headlight, ready to install on the bike, and a detail of the battery box.
DSC02017_zps129ce545.jpg

DSC02009_zps739259b5.jpg

And here it is on the bike, ready for an evening ride!
DSC02023_zps44cd54bb.jpg

DSC02044_zpsc2bb1feb.jpg

DSC02041_zpsab09e52e.jpg

DSC02032_zps67666fc6.jpg

Now I've got to work on a taillight!

Very cool and clever repurposing of materials – imagination, it’s a beautiful thing. Well done!

Back