Frame building resources

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Awesome

👑 Lord of Irrelevance
Staff member
Admin
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Since we have a growing contingent of amateur and professional frame builders this can be a collective of resources for those looking for more

Feel free to post links, videos, tips and anything else that might be interesting or useful

Since we have a growing contingent of amateur and professional frame builders this can be a collective of resources for those looking for more

Feel free to post links, videos, tips and anything else that might be interesting or useful

This is a fantastic idea let's push those class 2 builds

Thanx Cap. What a great idea.

I have seen several Members be generous with their experience and those that are hungry to learn and not afraid to try. I have been loosely and haphazardly making notes but this thread will help us post successes and failures/mistakes (that will be me ;)). I see this as beneficial not just for the build-offs but for those who may wish to slightly customize their rides or make repairs that they felt uncomfortable with attempting in the past.

This may have some overlap or be a sub-category with RRBs HOW TO thread......... matt

Thanx Cap. What a great idea.

I have seen several Members be generous with their experience and those that are hungry to learn and not afraid to try. I have been loosely and haphazardly making notes but this thread will help us post successes and failures/mistakes (that will be me ;)). I see this as beneficial not just for the build-offs but for those who may wish to slightly customize their rides or make repairs that they felt uncomfortable with attempting in the past.

This may have some overlap or be a sub-category with RRBs HOW TO thread......... matt
Anything in that series of threads that is applicable can be easily copied over

Many people probably know this YT channel, but I basically learned to TIG from it. Lots of advice all over range of welding methods and applications. Plenty of good arc video so you can see what you’re supposed to be seeing (or not seeing) when you’re welding.

Welding Tips and Tricks

Many people probably know this YT channel, but I basically learned to TIG from it. Lots of advice all over range of welding methods and applications. Plenty of good arc video so you can see what you’re supposed to be seeing (or not seeing) when you’re welding.

Welding Tips and Tricks
Such a good channel

While I love me some good C.ardboard A.ided D.esign, I've recently been investigating using the computer for plans.

Fusion 360 for Personal Use is free, with some limitations of course. Here are a couple bike-specific video tutorials that can help get you started.

Awesome Captain,

I can recommend the youtube video's of Paul Brodie.

https://www.youtube.com/c/paulbrodie
He works with the fillet brazing method and has great explanations on how to work with that.

While I love me some good C.ardboard A.ided D.esign, I've recently been investigating using the computer for plans.

Fusion 360 for Personal Use is free, with some limitations of course. Here are a couple bike-specific video tutorials that can help get you started.

What was that website we were discussing?

What was that website we were discussing?
The maker of the second video above, Yang MFG, started CustomFrameForum which is a place for people to share their knowledge in frame building. There are specific education sections as well as general discussion and some supplier-specific or tooling specific sub-forums.

I recently ran across it while researching segmented fork contstruction and was like, "why haven't I heard of this place before?!?" Because it was just started about December of 2022.

Anything in that series of threads that is applicable can be easily copied over
I don't know anything about welding*, so I doubt I'll contribute here, but I'll be watching. Anything useful to non welders will be quoted in the Tips n Trix thread

*I think I've heard of that Brodie guy.

I know that @BartRidesEternal is deeply invested in his newest project and I grabbed these screen grab’s today to share

IMG_2005.jpeg
IMG_2006.jpeg
IMG_2007.jpeg

Simple and efficient jig design for those looking

I know that @BartRidesEternal is deeply invested in his newest project and I grabbed these screen grab’s today to share

View attachment 247484View attachment 247485View attachment 247486

Simple and efficient jig design for those looking

That is a beautiful JIG, thanks for sharing that Captain. Those lasercut steel plates look the part!

I am certainly deeply invested, and happily share my design pictures soon!

At the moment I am working on the type of steel beams to utilize and their tolerances.

So if you'll allow me to type some notes that are important for an aligning JIG in my view (open to discussion!) so you can reflect that on the JIGs that you would like to build:

• I personally am going for overkill. My balance between practicality and stiffness.
  • For the longest part, the backbone of the JIG, you'll want to use a profile that is as stiff as possible:
    • Ideally a single round tube with closed ends is the stiffest option. Since assembly of clamps/parts is more of a challenge on round tubes a square hollow profile with closed welded ends will be a great option.
    • Steel generally has a higher stiffness than aluminium (youngs modulus): Aluminium = 68 GPa and steel is 200 GPa.
    • Then it depends on the design (size, wall thickness) you will use.
  • After welding the JIG backbone and parts, check the alignment and mill if necessary.
  • To get from point A to B, for example the bottom bracket to the headtube. You'll want to use the least amount of parts and contact surfaces. Why? Every part has its tolerances and they can add up.
  • Like most JIGs have: Always use a plug for bottom brackets and headtubes. Ideally the same material as your frame has. Since different materials have different coefficients of expansion. Aluminium has a greater expansion than steel for example.
Thats it for now, thanks!

Tubemiter by Giles Puckett

A simple .exe that prints out a .pdf you wrap around the tube and mark where to cut/grind/file, if you aren't using a tube notcher or other means. File>Settings to adjust the tube sizes and angle, as in the second pic. There doesn't seem to be a direct home for it, but a quick search will turn up many other sites, frame and roll cage builders mostly, where you can download it. I'll leave it to the individual to decide where to go as I expect these places may change from time to time.

Tubemiter example 1.jpg
Tubemiter example 2.jpg

Tubemiter by Giles Puckett

A simple .exe that prints out a .pdf you wrap around the tube and mark where to cut/grind/file, if you aren't using a tube notcher or other means. File>Settings to adjust the tube sizes and angle, as in the second pic. There doesn't seem to be a direct home for it, but a quick search will turn up many other sites, frame and roll cage builders mostly, where you can download it. I'll leave it to the individual to decide where to go as I expect these places may change from time to time.

View attachment 247786View attachment 247787
Great one I’ve used many times

Latest posts

Back