Frame Builders Advice!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is a good idea. I can probably pick up a Huffy Cranbrook cruiser for cheap and have everything that I'd need for a complete build to practice with.

That's how I did my first couple of scratch builts. Bought a Cranbrook for $20, used the BB, HT, and all the parts, built the frame, and then put all of the parts back on it to get a cheap but cool working bike. I stopped doing that because I noticed that anyone wanting a custom frame didn't want cheap Huffy parts on it, and changed them out. Why keep giving them these parts when they weren't using them? I could've used that wheelset on another project of mine! Now I just sell the frames by themselves.

There is a book in our library that has all scratch built bike projects. The author uses a 220 volt AC stick welder and thick walled tubing. I think a lot of people on this site use his ideas because I see some of them quite often here. The book is called something like "Bike, Scooter and Chopper Projects for the Evil Genius". He basically gets a bunch of old bike frames, cuts them up and reassembles it into a new frame.
That is a guy named Brad of Atomic Zombie fame. He has some cool ideas but insists on using thin walled galvanised conduit, which is a risky proposition...

Luke.

There is a book in our library that has all scratch built bike projects. The author uses a 220 volt AC stick welder and thick walled tubing. I think a lot of people on this site use his ideas because I see some of them quite often here. The book is called something like "Bike, Scooter and Chopper Projects for the Evil Genius". He basically gets a bunch of old bike frames, cuts them up and reassembles it into a new frame. I feel an American bottom bracket would be easier to use and can always be converted to a 3 piece. One of my friends made custom BMX and Mountain Bike frames in the 80s, but he sold his bike shop and moved away. He made is own universal jig table out of plate steel. He said to do it right you needed a planed and leveled slab of marble but thick plate steel was close enough. He used a drop dial gauge to take measurements off of his level jig table and could lightly tap everything into alignment. Any thing that is perfectly flat, even Melamine would probably work. He had slots and tabs welded onto the frame table. If you were only going to make one bike you could weld up the adjustable taps to hold everything on plate steel. Plate steel to hold everything really solid is probably a good idea. For a first project using recycled thick walled tubing is also probably a good idea. He had a homemade something that looked like an old press with holders welded on it that held the fork parts in place. That looked hard to build. He brazed everything. He was an amazing guy, he did all this while he was getting his university degree in I guess it would be "shop". He sold out about two years after graduation. I never built a frame, but I used to hang out as his shop and watch. Using existing recycled bike parts would be beneficial as you would not have to ream the head tube or bottom bracket. Perhaps you can buy these pieces that are already reamed? It would take me quite awhile to get the skills to just build the frame.
i have the book you mentioned & a book on how to build lugged bikes !

I always wondered where you can get a nice stick of tube to use to replace a top tube? Some people say they use Black Pipe and other say they go down to the steel supply store.

i have the book you mentioned & a book on how to build lugged bikes !
What is the name of the book on lugged bikes?
I'd like to find one like that.
All I've ever done is Stick Welding,
I'd like to get me a little wire feed welder...
I'm day dreaming of a scratch built frame too!

Carl.

lugged bicycle frame construction , a manual for the first time builder
expanded second edition
marc-andre r. chimonas
my mom bought it from amazon.com

anyone recommend any good frame jig plans that can be purchased cheap? Also, if I purchased a bottom bracket and head tube pre-made could I just pick up some tube from the metal supplier down the street? I'm used to welding cold rolled steel but all of this is so new to me. I'll also look into a basic FAQ because I'm pretty clueless on bikes and don't want to waste anyone's time but must say the internet helped tremendously in helping me take a part my bike at least.

I know that there are some frame jig plans in the how to manual on this forum. I haven't yet found the time, space, or need to build one yet so I cannot tell you how good they are, but if it's on this site then I would assume it's good. Hope that helps

thanks. I'll do a search on the forums for one. I could use the practice with my new TIG and hopefully there's some simple plans out there.

Yes...Uncle Stretch's post are all very informative.

Rumor has it he recently moved to a new house after living in the same place for over 37 years.

He's been busy setting up his new garage....that came with VERY TALL ceilings.

It would be great to see him back around, but I had heard he had gotten rid of his tubing bender. I remember that because I wish i would have got it :)

Adding a bar here or there would not be a major problem for me. But I have never cut a frame in half and put it back together aligned properly. Lets say I take two frames and make one long one out of the two. Does anyone have a simple alignment process to get the two wheels in the same track and not twisted to the left or the right?
Any pictures of the alignment process just before welding?
Thanks
The biggest thing I have found no matter the frame size , stretch , rake or anything else is frame alignment , if you don't get that right your in trouble from the start , spend the time building a cheap fixture to get those three items in line and the rest is easy , And like luke said cut up old bikes first to save the money for other things you will need first , it takes a little to clean up old used parts but the savings is worth the effort , If I was you I wouldn't worry about it to much as we have all seen what kind of work you do and I don't think your going to have much trouble building frames

Adding a bar here or there would not be a major problem for me. But I have never cut a frame in half and put it back together aligned properly. Lets say I take two frames and make one long one out of the two. Does anyone have a simple alignment process to get the two wheels in the same track and not twisted to the left or the right?
Any pictures of the alignment process just before welding?
Thanks
No pics I am afraid, but a piece of string from the headtube to each dropout will allow you to measure the gaps from the string to the seat-tube and get it straight. :thumbsup: Aside from that just line by eye from the seat-tube to the head-tube to ensure they are aligned to the same angle.

Luke.

Back