Found a Columbia Five Star!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up today. A guy had got it when he bought a dozen old bikes that were in a chicken house.
Brought it home and it is HEAVY which makes it hard to pedal so I actually prefer riding my '88 Schwinn Cruiser.
I may keep the Columbia and I might remove the rear rack (for my Schwinn) and sell the rest. Either way It was a neat find and I think it is a cool design....other than the weight.

253089_4887122296102_1507577635_n.jpg

I'd be interested in the tank for the right price if you part out :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
I'd be interested in the tank for the right price if you part out :wink:

Id be interested in the whole bike :wink: :mrgreen: and Id even give you a perfectly good rack for your schwinn 8)
On a serious note, by the looks of the fenders and light it looks to me that they may be from one of the RX-5 repops? Hard to tell fo sure from the picture though. Nice find man!

Bri-in-RI said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:
by the looks of the fenders and light it looks to me that they may be from one of the RX-5 repops? Hard to tell fo sure from the picture though. Nice find man!

No idea, it is possible. I don't know where to find the serial on the frame to determine what year model the bike is. I was guessing fifties.

Its probably between '51 and '55 5 star Superb. I could be wrong but I dont think the 5 star Deluxe had a chrome tank. Serial number should be on the left rear dropout and will tell you the exact year.
-Brian

Bri-in-RI said:
Its probably between '51 and '55 5 star Superb. I could be wrong but I dont think the 5 star Deluxe had a chrome tank. Serial number should be on the left rear dropout and will tell you the exact year.
-Brian

It is marked "Five Star Superb" and the serial appears to read "R 43881"
What year would that be? Are these bikes reputed to be hard as heck for a 42 year old man to pedal???? :mrgreen:

sandmountainslim said:
Bri-in-RI said:
-Brian

It is marked "Five Star Superb" and the serial appears to read "R 43881"
What year would that be? Are these bikes reputed to be hard as h*** for a 42 year old man to pedal???? :mrgreen:

Its a '51 according to Mr Columbia-
http://www.vintagecolumbiabikes.com/id79.html

As for being hard to pedal... heavy bike+large sprocket= hard to get moving!

I think the fenders don't match the patina of the frame and rack. Maybe someone DID put repop fenders on 'er at some point.

I mailed photos and the serial number to Mr. Columbia and he was kind enough to reply.
He said just as the gentleman said here that the fenders and headlight are reproductions from 1986 and that the frame and other components are from a 1950 Columbia Five Star Superb.

Back