Formerly Both of Catahula's Klunkers .. DONE! (OK, Almost!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The first of two that he put up for sale a couple of months ago. I saw it, and the little voices in my head told me I needed it. Like a hole in the head. But I did what they said.
It started out like this:

It's been disassembled and re-started. The fork elastomers apparently melted in shipping, and were all over everything else, so they got replaced, and the fork got taken apart to be thoroughly cleaned of the yellow goo. I'm about half back together with it now.
Present condition as of an hour ago:

I'll have to dig up some more parts tomorrow. It was a couple of hours of digging around today to find the elusive sprocket and crank.
Thanks for looking!!

Re: Formerly One of Catahula's Klunkers ....

Love the frame. I stuck a cut off porch spring from Lowe's in mine and it worked good.
Took a torch and heated the cut off end and flattened it a little . Cheap fix.
IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

Hey uncle strecth, what is the spring rating, and what type of porch spring did you use?

Maaaan, those forks are super sick! I guess I'll run across one someday.

If you are not going with front brakes I think you can flip the fork tubes to opposite sides and unscrew the brake posts. It will lose the backwards look that those have and give about a one inch wheelbase lengthen.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Re: Formerly Catahula's Klunkers .... #2 NOW DONE!

Nothing much left to do...... almost. Here's the last shots taken just after the grips were put in place an hour or so ago.
Still have to get the valve stem caps (dice!) and the longer handlebars, but here is most of it - in living color! ;D

Towmorrow we ride!

Re: Formerly One of Catahula's Klunkers .... DONE!

WOW Roland,
Your makin' me proud.
Can I send you all of my half-finished projects and have you pull 'em together like that ? That is tight.
Well done Sir !
Pete

Man that turned out fantastic.

Rat cycle they only have one kind of porch spring at Lowe's. They come two to a bag
for about $7. Not sure on the spring rate but they hold my 260 up on anything I use
them on.

Over the last few nights, I have spent some time finishing up the "test fit" of the second of the two projects I got from Catahula. If it EVER stops raining here while I am OFF work, I may get a little seat time in, and once tested, it'll come back apart to have the frame done up. If it rides like I think it will, this will play out within the next month or so. This one took a little more time as I wanted it to work the way it should with the 8 speed hub, the disc brakes, and getting all of this in good order. I don't think Schwinn had any idea that these would last 76 years when they built 'em, and both of them are the same age.
Here be #2:

This was a lot of fun to put together, but had a couple of glitches that made me work a little. Nothing major, and a GREAT deal for the price!

Thanks for reading,
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

3 wheeled wolfy said:
Nice who made the frame?

Schwinn - The teal colored one is a '36 B-67, the other one is a '36 B-98

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

XC204 said:
If you are not going with front brakes I think you can flip the fork tubes to opposite sides and unscrew the brake posts. It will lose the backwards look that those have and give about a one inch wheelbase lengthen.

Flipping fork tubes does not work ,I tried it.It reverses the rake actually..Brake bosses are not screwed in either,they are riveted and glued on with some kinda superhuman glue!!

bmxerpete said:
Roland, the B-67 looks killer, and the 98 is looking really good. Are those Crupi cranks on it?

Pete,
Good eye. Yeah they are. Got lucky and found a nice used set of Club Roost pedals to put on them too. I like it, and think they look kind of "official" klunker-ish.

I want to get on it! This rain is a pain.

REC

jackdaw said:
Can we get a pic of your rear brake setup? 8)

Thanks for looking, and here is one of the photos from Catahula's ad as I have not really changed anything with the rear brake other than hooking it up and doing a little spacing correction for a "rub free" alignment after changing the inner parts of the hub and the mounting piece for the disc brake adapter to the hub.

Once I get to a point of having some seat time, and knowing that everything plays well with each other, I'll be tearing it down to do the frame. When it goes back together, I'll take a lot more photos showing the details better. Pete (Catahula) provided a GREAT start with this bike, but there were some inherent issues that you generally would find when it is going together. For the price he was asking, it would have be hard just to find a good frame, and this one came with a lot of cool stuff already attached.

The first one was just as good a deal, and they make a VERY nice pair.

Thanks again for reading,
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Re: Formerly Both of Catahula's Klunkers ....

XC204 said:

Houndog said:
Flipping fork tubes does not work ,I tried it.It reverses the rake actually..Brake bosses are not screwed in either,they are riveted and glued on with some kinda superhuman glue!!

I didn't even want to mess with the fork legs other than cleaning them up a little, as I like the way the fork looks, and find the aesthetic end of it to be interesting as it was. I'll be leaving them as they are.

Thanks for reading,
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

I sent you a PM regarding the suspension fork on the black B-98 but thought maybe some other people might be interested in that as well.

What headset are you using for a modern suspension fork to fit in the prewar frame? It looks like a newer fork so I'm guessing it's a 1 and 1/8" steerer tube?

Heavy frame modifications necessary or is there a quality aftermarket headset that will allow these parts to work together?

Thanks in advance!

SummitCoCycleWorks said:
I sent you a PM regarding the suspension fork on the black B-98 but thought maybe some other people might be interested in that as well.

What headset are you using for a modern suspension fork to fit in the prewar frame? It looks like a newer fork so I'm guessing it's a 1 and 1/8" steerer tube?

Heavy frame modifications necessary or is there a quality aftermarket headset that will allow these parts to work together?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know of an adaptive headset, but that is definitely something one of the manufacturers could come up with! These are not the first pre-war bikes I've had, but are the first with this type of setup.

The headsets on both bikes are FSA products. Both of them are 1 & 1/8, and both appear to have been put on a diet. The cups look to have been ground or filed down a bit where the flange goes into the headtube, and both frames appear to have been "hogged out" a bit where the headset flange fits up into the steering tube. The double bar (B-67) headset flanges fit into the frame pretty well on receipt, the straightbar frame (B-98) fit to a degree, but was still in need of some finesse work for the cups to fit into the headtube squarely. A little time with a Dremel solved that issue.

These bikes were both bought as incomplete projects, and had a lot of stuff already done when I got them, and for me to take credit for work someone else did is not right. So far, most of my participation has been to finesse some of the work already mostly complete, and to assemble the bikes to the point of usability. The double bar was no work really other than cleaning some of the components and doing the frame up in teal. The front fork elastomers melted during shipping and the yellow goo from them was all over the front wheel and fork. It took several nights of cleaning to get all of it off the fork, and I ended up scrapping the wheel (to a friend) as it just didn't seem worth the effort and I already had a set of drop center wheels I wanted to use on it.

The straightbar has had me more than baffled on occasion, as the headset fit wasn't something I was ready to jump on, but with some assistance from a friend who had the tools, it wasn't so bad. The biggest thing with it was with the rear hub and brake setup. The hub had no ability to shift do to an internal failure, and as this was the case, I bought another hub to switch the internal parts to the one already laced into the wheel. Once again, I made an error due to making an assumption that I knew exactly what I was doing. Assumptions are bad. Knowing "they're all the same" is bad. The hub I got had different left side bearings and the housing for them. The internal parts are an easy switch, but this particular part is pressed into the hub housing and needed to be "unpressed" and then pressed back into the other housing. Once in place, the adapter for the brake rotor mount had to be "adjusted" to get everything to align. It seems to work just fine now though Shimano says you should not do this..

Other than that, these were pretty much no problem to get into usable condition. Once the straightbar has some ride time to assure there are no issues left, I'll take it apart again to get that frame done.

if you have other questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer. The guy who sold them to me, onecatahula, is a member here, and I'm sure has a lot more information as to the headset modifications, as well as doing the disc brake mount onto the frame at the rear hub. He put these up for a fair price considering the parts that are present in both cases, and the frames alone have sold recently for the price he sold the projects for. I bought the double bar on sight, as I REALLY wanted the frame as I had wanted one pretty bad, but never could come up with the right number when one was out there. The other one was posted a day or two after I bought the first one, and it was sold fairly quick, but apparently the buyer changed their mind. I had prodded Pete a little as I liked this bike too, so he offered it to me as well. This was immediately discussed with the CFO (my wife), and she said to go ahead if I wanted it, so I did. (Sorry guys, her sisters are all taken, and none of them are just like her!)

That's all I've got for now.

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

That is certainly a beautiful pair of bikes. 8)...a superb and creative combination of both the old and new.

Back