forks, headtubes, stems... help plz

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm working on an old wester flyer 50s i think. I have a new 1in springer fork, and the head tube measures 34mm (inner), what size stem and headset do I need?

I'm totally confused at this point. Have I created an odd beast or am I just as big a noob as I feel like? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Some of the old JC Higgins and WFs used a 1 1/8 head tube cup size but used 1" forks, with a unique headset. To replace that you'll need to get a set of headset reducers 1 1/8 to 1" then get a 1" headset with 30.2mm cup size not the old bmx 32.7mm cup size to work with the headset reducer.

Here's what the reducers look like, I've used em before they work good
http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/635/Headtube-Reducer-1-1-8-to-1"/

Sheldon's headset crib sheet
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

as for the stem a lot of modern aftermarket springers take 22.2 stems

socal_jack,

I'm running the Felt Jerry Springer fork on this bike (or trying to) which is 1in. That is much larger in diameter than the original fork...why do I need a reducer? The old steering tube is smaller, don't I need an enlarger? :)

I know I don't need an enlarger, but I hope that helps you see my confusion with this bit... what am I missing?

karfer67,

as I mentioned above I'm running the Felt 1in springer, will a 22.2 stem work? I'm getting most parts by mail so I'm really trying to not order any that I'll just have to send back.

Thanks a lot!

thanks jack, but that is a bit out of the range for this project :)

I'm still digesting your cheaper method.

I also was just looking at this set:

22.2 x 34 x 27 mm "Cruiser"
34mm inner head tube diam.
Fits with 22.2mm stem.
For 1" threaded steering tube.
(BB 26320) (DM 40-134-18) $10.95
http://www.chainganglowrider.com/Part - Headsets.htm

That sounds like it does what I need without the extra reducers... right?

I thinks all Felt forks are 1 1/8". Your measurement of 25mm also indicates this. Your should need a 1 1/8" Threaded headset.

pickled said:
ok so I need a 1 1/8 headset... anyone know where I can find one that fits my head tube? I liked the black headsets at Chain Gang but I don't see any that fit. Choppersusa has a bunch, but they don't provide sizing details on their site.

Have you actually been able to fit the 1 1/8 steerer tube on the Felt fork thru the head tube on the WF? When I've tried it in the past, there were abutments from the top and down tubes which prevented the 1 1/8 steerer from fitting, unless you ground off the ends of those tubes to some degree inside the head tube. That's why I assumed you were using a 1" steerer tube as came on those bikes originally.

ok, I'm back on this now.

headset is all set now, thanks for the help getting me there.

the new questions is -- the LBS said I need a 25.4 stem to go with my setup but I already have a 22.2mm BMX style stem I really wanted to use. is there any way to make the 22.2 stem work?

if not, any pointers on where to find a 25.4 stem that is beefier like a BMX stem? I've checked Chain Gang, Spooky, Bikeworldusa already with no real luck :(

thanks. I've since found a few around, none yet that are the right size for my situation... any ideas where to find this size?

any safety concern using a collar like that? normally, I wouldn't care but this bike will be motorized and my wife and other random people might ride it.

Back