Fork truss rods

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a truss rod upper bracket and hardware for my retro Schwinn world sport racer.I will be fabricating the truss rods myself,hadn't decided on material yet.The rod ends for the axle will be the biggest challenge though,attaching them to the tubing will be tough.The bikes on this website are totally tough and have inspired me to modify my fixed gear in such a way.I can't wait until I can start building a cruiser with a springer and inverted bars.I am on the prowl.

I just finished my fork truss rods and installed them on my 85 Schwinn World Sport Racer.They didn't come out half bad,looks even more retro.I ordered 4ft of 3/8 OD x.049 wall seamless stainless steel tubing from Amazon.com. for $20 shipped.Seamless tubing is easier to bend without splitting.I bought two 3/8 ID x 1 1/2 long steel bushings,flattened half and drilled an axle hole,then slid them on for a fork attachment point.The first rod wasn't too bad with the three compound bends,the tough part was mirroring it for the opposite side.I also found out that my headset was a little loose or worn and chewed up some of my fork threads.So this winter I'll need to have a new headset installed and possibly a new fork .Working on pics.

No pics yet.Trying to find my nikon transfer disc to load into new pc.I removed my truss rods after realizing they weren't what I was looking for.They came out nice,but it wasn't happening.Well I wasted $30 and 5 hours,but it was fun.

Back