Fito bikes, are they any good?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of ordering a Fito cruiser with disk breaks and the 3 inch wide Kenda Flame fat tires. Does anyone have any experience with them? I kinda want one because the style of the Fito cruisers remind me of those Dyno cruisers they used to make. I think the guy who designed the Fito cruisers must have been a fan of Dyno cruisers because they are somewhat similar in style. I was thinking of getting one for a backup cruiser if (god forbid) anything happens to my Dyno Deuce and Fitos do look pretty cool and they aren't to pricey for a cruiser with disk breaks and gears.

The quality is somewhere between a Wallyworld bike and a bike shop bike, on par with the Micgari and Greenline. Amazon probably has the best place to read reviews on them. Besides the quality for the price, it sounds like there is not much tolerance between the tires and frame/fork. The 1/4" should be fine, but just know how to true your wheels if needed.

$_57.JPG

I have one of those forks and it's pretty nice, well built no slop. Thin finish though scratches easily...

Carl.

I was excited about the FITO 7speed Modena GT when I found it, but every place that had it listed was sold out (except for one seller that is double the price - on amazon). I was told by one of their distributors that late November 2015 is when they expect another re-up in stock.

In the meantime, I looked at the FITO website and it looks like they are only making the GT as a single speed from here on out as they no longer have a 3 or 7 speed listed. I'm going to be a sad camper if I missed out on that bike since it has every aspect I was looking for:
Cruiser frame
7+ speed
Disc Brakes
Fat Tires
Fenders

Does anyone have an alternative brand to look at that has these specs? Otherwise, I'm considering buying the single speed and having a bike shop convert it into a 7 speed. This will be my first bike purchase.

I was excited about the FITO 7speed Modena GT when I found it, but every place that had it listed was sold out (except for one seller that is double the price - on amazon). I was told by one of their distributors that late November 2015 is when they expect another re-up in stock.

In the meantime, I looked at the FITO website and it looks like they are only making the GT as a single speed from here on out as they no longer have a 3 or 7 speed listed. I'm going to be a sad camper if I missed out on that bike since it has every aspect I was looking for:
Cruiser frame
7+ speed
Disc Brakes
Fat Tires
Fenders

Does anyone have an alternative brand to look at that has these specs? Otherwise, I'm considering buying the single speed and having a bike shop convert it into a 7 speed. This will be my first bike purchase.
Converting it might not be too cheap a proposition, considering you will still need some way to stop. If you go the convertion route, consider having your local shop rebuild the original rear wheel with a 7 speed internal hub with a coaster brake, like a Shimano Nexus. That way you avoid the clutter and expense of having to add caliper or disc brakes to the bike. If you can live with 3 speeds it's even cheaper to go the internal route. Last I checked 3 speed coaster hubs were running around $70-$90 on Ebay, but 7 speeds were up around $150-$200!

I was thinking of ordering a Fito cruiser with disk breaks and the 3 inch wide Kenda Flame fat tires. Does anyone have any experience with them? I kinda want one because the style of the Fito cruisers remind me of those Dyno cruisers they used to make. I think the guy who designed the Fito cruisers must have been a fan of Dyno cruisers because they are somewhat similar in style. I was thinking of getting one for a backup cruiser if (god forbid) anything happens to my Dyno Deuce and Fitos do look pretty cool and they aren't to pricey for a cruiser with disk breaks and gears.

Inferno89 - did you ever end up getting a FITO? I ended up pulling the trigger on bikebuyers.com for the 7speed even tho they have the bike listed as back order. Worse case, I don't get the bike, best case I get the bike when it becomes available. I see you like the Dyno Deuce. My 2nd choice was the Micargi Slugo SS which seems pretty close in style to your Dyno Deuce. Altho, in the Slugo's case I'll have to either make or purchase fenders to fit those fat tires.

Converting it might not be too cheap a proposition, considering you will still need some way to stop. If you go the convertion route, consider having your local shop rebuild the original rear wheel with a 7 speed internal hub with a coaster brake, like a Shimano Nexus. That way you avoid the clutter and expense of having to add caliper or disc brakes to the bike. If you can live with 3 speeds it's even cheaper to go the internal route. Last I checked 3 speed coaster hubs were running around $70-$90 on Ebay, but 7 speeds were up around $150-$200!

Bigcam59 - I've done the 3 speed with the BCycle here in town. I do like the nexus gearing, but riding downtown, I need a few more higher than 3 speed. I can keep up with car traffic on those tanks, but I'm not getting enough grab in the highest gear to truly match speeds. If I do have to go the aftermarket route, I'll definitely go with the 7speed nexus / coaster brake, even though I do like to back pedal to give quads a rest.

Good point. To be honest, my rides usually take on a somewhat leisurely pace. It's true that derailleur gear systems are lighter and more efficient, and give you better control over your gear options. The problem is that you'll need to use either hub brakes or caliper brakes, which adds more hardware, cables and expense. Mind you, taller gears are a mere bigger chainring away with either style.
It's a sweet looking bike, btw.

Looks similar to some Felt models. Haven't heard of FITO, hopefully it's better than the aforementioned Micargi, their rep is not exactly sterling. Be sure to let us know what happens.
:forum:

Back