First Timer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up all. Alex from Wisconsin here. This is my first rat rod project.

Starting with a 26" Wal-Mart La Jolla beach cruiser I snagged off Craigslist for 40 bucks. I owned a 20" lowrider before this so planned on making this a more rideable (I'm 6'3") lowrider but after I plasti-dipped it that all changed.

Rat rod is the way I'm headed. This thing is ridiculous. Pics to follow.

What I started with. No rust!!!
GOPR2843_zps5ac84fb9.jpg

Decals removed.
GOPR2851_zps5b78a502.jpg

What I'm coming from. I've always loved riding, I own a Trek MTB and a BMC road bike, but this was my first "novelty" bike. The only mods I did on this were the seat and a seat post clamp to raise it up because I'm a big dude. It was such a sick bike but the ride-ability just wasn't there. I kick myself every day for selling it though.

GOPR1246_zpsb05474e4.jpg

Plasti-dipping. For all who know what this stuff is, it is incredible. For those who don't, it's rubbery, stretchy, and REMOVABLE in a spray can! You'll be addicted. A lot of people are doing their rims and even their entire cars these days because of the "temporary" properties of it.

GOPR2860_zps8699d518.jpg

P.S. Check out that home-made paint booth! EH? EH? ;)

As much as I do love plasti-dip, it is not durable enough for me. I'm going to do this bike in spray truck bed liner. Unsure yet if I'll strip the dip off or just go over it. Also some home-made grips you guys should stay tuned for! They're gonna be super unique.

Also debating doing the wheels black as well. Opinions or comparable pictures are appreciated!

Bent springer fork to come as well.

So far, I only have 50 bucks into this project.

Well I changed my mind and am sticking with plasti-dip, I put on two more thick coats and sprayed the cranks this time too. The ability to go back whenever you want and touch up spots with no evidence of doing so convinced me to stay with plasti-dip.

Just got back from about a 10 mile ride and I am in love. Also, check out the new grips.

Still debating painting the wheels black or buying a new black wheelset with 3 speed internal hub.

Also still trying to find a 26" BLACK bent springer fork.

Black laid back seat post is coming as well.

GOPR2881_zpsc6f4d9d6.jpg

GOPR2884_zps4ac0d907.jpg

GOPR2885_zps72c17960.jpg

good change. i like the plasti-dip look. I have seen the dipyourcar.com stuff with guys doing whole cars. as long as you have a smooth paint job you can just peel the dip off when you are done.
your homemade paint booth has inspired me to clean out a corner of my shop and do the same thing. will let me paint at night and hopefully keep the bugs off my fresh paint and the paint overspray off of my stuff.

Cool bike. Now that it's getting cold I'm gonna have to start painting inside in the basement so I'll be doing the paint booth thing, plus heater and ventilation, cuz my wife hates the fumes. :roll:

I would do the wheels up in red that would set it off those bent springer's can be found all over the net

scratch up the chrome with sandpaper and hit it with self etching primer.
I've got a chrome one I'll let go of cheap if you want it.

Alright here's the latest. Finally got the bent springer on, if you're curious, here is a link to that whole fiasco: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65172

Here is before.
photo-1-1.jpg

And after :D
photo-3-1.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Let the search for custom apes begin. Also debating on doing a banana seat with sissy bar, what do you guys think? Don't wanna look tooooo lowrider, more ratty is what I'm going for.

These are the apes I'm after.
Screenshot2012-11-09at125305PM.png

stoked said:
sooooooo lowwwwww
mabe too much , but you could use skatboard/longboard bushings and stack 2 or 3 , you can even choose the hardness
i have done this in the past , you can bend the bracket a little more and flip it upside down to fit at the right angle

Back