first shot at striping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the good words.....
some simple lines...
basic.jpg

still need to work on my brush techniques but ill pump karfer for some info next time i see him

well heres some newer stuff....
stripesandzepscallops001.jpg

kids lunchbox...
stripesandzepscallops003.jpg

bored....
stripesandzepscallops002.jpg

ammo box...
stripesandzepscallops004.jpg

life for a boring sign....
stripesonsign.jpg

sensor your better than me your new name is mr sandbag lol. that black peice is really nice what size brushes are you using?

the paint is one shot. there are others out there now i know house of color is now doing line paint but i have not messed with it i like good ol one shot because as the name says it goes on in one shot! even white over a black car, you just have to watch out how much reducer you use. brushes there are a lot out there but the classic ones are by mack. thats what i use and they work well. if you look on ebay there are guys selling the basic kits with a few colors for not too bad. and once you get good at it and people pay you to do it then the cost of the stuff equals out quickly. line control is one of the hardest things to learn dont pay attention as much at the tip of the brush but where you want the line to go. i started with a craft brush and craft paint just to learn all that before i droped the cash to by real paint and brushes. then i practiced on anything and everything for 6 months before i would let someone pay me

Nice stuff! I had read a 'how to' article one time regarding multiple colors striping. It said basically when your using multiple colors, you should apply the color that most contrasts the item your striping last. So if your striping a black panel with red and white, you put the white on top of the red. Otherwise it looks choppy. They showed some demo panels that illustrated their point.

Hey, whats the best way to store a brush if your an infrequent striper? I put mine between 2 dish sponges and wrapped it with a rubber band. Now its wavy due to the sponge pores.

i use a bugler stripe box but some have custom boxes with clips that hold the handle and the quill in the air

ive been using an old glasses case with the spiral wire from a note pad soldered in for mine(total cost of $0)
itll fit all my brushes fine and it was something to do with the glasses case that i never used(btw.....the converse cases are metal..just need to rip the padding out of the inside and clean the glue off)
though about altoids tins but theyre too short for a standard mack...

Do you draw your designs in pencil first or just go to it. Really like the dog sign.

some people like to sketch it out first but i find i mess up more doing that way so anything i do is straight outa my head. although it is a good idea to draw some sort of center line especially on frame tubes it is easy to get off line on those because they are round and thin.

I wish I could do that good. YOu are an awesome artist for a beginner heck of a lot of talent.

Back