first shot at striping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
well i figured it was about time i learned how to use a brush for more than just straight lines......
heres my first two attempts
firsttimestripes004.jpg

firsttimestripes003.jpg

i know the designs are very basic but youve gotta start somewhere
btw if anyone has any ideas tips or comments feel free(dont worry about hurting my feelings..if they stink say so!)

ummm and you think my striping is good? i know you have picked up a brush before so dont fool me. maybe your first atempt and dutch style stripes though and i must say i am very very impressed with the case. doing two seperate peices that have to match is not easy at all and that is very well done. keep practicing then when billetproof comes around i can drag you with me so we can both stripe and i might actually get to look at some cars this time. on the up side i did make a few hundred dollars that day :mrgreen:

wow that looks really really good for your first time with curved lines!!! that case is really cool too!

Easy E

oh and really digging the tri color on the light. you notice i am super traditional with my work doing just two colors. that is normally because i forget to leave room for the third lines oops. well done and headlights can be some of the hardest to stripe because of the constantly changing curves. now get brave and try striping a frame the small round tubes i have found to be quite a challenge sometimes. and all i can say to practice is stripe anything in the garage that you can find and that you wont get in trouble for striping. washers and dryers work great, but a spare refridgerator is the best. you saw my beer 0 rator right?

thanks guys...yeah i have used a brush before(just for regular lines though)
ive got to say it took some courage to do the suitcase(my grandfather gave that too me along time ago) so i cheated and used alignment marks :oops: the light housing was free hand.......
and yeah ive got lots of stuff to practice on in the garage
sooner of later ill get the idea and be able to run with it(and yeah karfer youre about a million miles ahead of me :( )
again any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated

basic is good :D and those are great !!! heckuvalot better than i could pull off, honestly i think long straight lines are even harder to make look good so dont sell yourself short :mrgreen:

If you or adam want to practice on either my huffman or cycle truck you can have at 'em

Who you kiddin....first time! :lol:

:?: Question: When you do 2 or more colors do you have to let the first color dry before applying the second or do you go over the top of it wet? B607

those i just went over as soon as i cleaned the brush and loaded another color(i also learned that if youre right handed start on the left side so you can look at what youre doing instead of just your arm :roll: )

ahhhh you learn fast grass hopper. also a trick i use my left pinky to brace myself aganst the surface and that works great most of the time but you do get into some interesting positions like that, think twister with your fingers. and it is also a good idea to every once and awhile check your fingers to make sure you have not gotten a bunch of paint on them that might sneak its way onto the peice your working on. and lets see oh if you want a peice that is great to practice on get a peice of glass. that way when it dries you can scrape it off and use it again. i do that for practicing curves but i keep all of my old striping because i like to see how i progressed. finally pallet a lot you cant do that enough and keep the paint nice and fluid by adding reducer as it hardens. oh and zoso i will stripe your bikes at a ratrod bikes disount lol.

karfer67 said:
oh and zoso i will stripe your bikes at a ratrod bikes disount lol.

sweet. I'll chat with you about it when I drop off my old yellow schwinn for you to finish up for me.

DUDE! i dont wanna hear this crappola about your not sure if its good or whatver! yuo do some great work for your first couple of times!!! i wish i had a good friend that lived close to me to stripe for me. maybe i should just learn how to do it myself!!!

Easy E

Latest posts

Back