First Ride of the New Cruisers!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some picks of the new semi-unmodified cruisers that I scoured local department stores to find. As with all department store bought-off-the-rack bikes, these were a far cry from safe or even operational when I purchased them. The blue one is a Kulana Moon Dog, with new pedals and grips (the original pedals and grips were not fit for use by humans). I've been looking for a Kulana Moon Dog for a while now, and since they were discontinued, I was a bit surprised when I saw one covered in dust and tucked in the top corner of a Wal-Mart rack. I wish I took pictures of me ripping the brakes apart on the store floor. I thought the employee was gonna have a coronary.

The black one is a 2009 Schwinn Riverside. It's only modification is some sweet pinwheel streamers! Well that and some suspicious bending of it's super awful brakes. After a couple swings of the Business Wrench (AKA framing hammer and screw driver) it turned out to be one fine bicycle. What a set of awesome graphics on this thing!

Both are indexed 7 speeds with alloy rims.

The trailer is a 99 buck Kmart special, and frankly worth every penny. My new son loves being ferried around like a Pharaoh. We got tons and tons of compliments from the local path riders, and posed for quite a few pictures.

Weather up here in Connecticut has been less than optimum for path rides. So it was pretty cool to be riding on Easter morning. Next time we take the customs out, but since these bikes were new we had to test 'em.

For those of you in state, the Cheshire to Yale Campus section of the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail is 7 miles of level paved awesome! Plus cool restaurants and ice cream shops, and few bars that have outdoor table service ( and apparently with great beers on tap, one place said Alagash, though since it was The Lord's day, they were closed :( )

I will be out there pulling this trailer all summer, hope to see some Ratrodders out there!

IMG045.jpg

IMG046.jpg

IMG047.jpg

IMG048.jpg

IMG049.jpg

IMG050.jpg

IMG051.jpg

Nice! im planning to get a schwinn windwood from walmart/target.

Back