First Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimbo1959 said:
Juggler said:
Here's where I'm at. Not finished yet, need to make up a layback seatpost. I have a different seat I want to use. I really wanted (originaly) to go with a boardtracker look, But I'm too old to ride all bent over like that. I'll just have to lay back and admire the boardtrackers you guys build. :mrgreen:

Great looking bike! I have a newbie question for you:

How do you make up a layback seatpost?

Here's a link to FBN, with pics showing how I made this one...
http://forum1.freakbikenation.com/viewtopic.php?t=690
Scroll down about half way.

Re: First Rat!

Juggler said:
johnny nightwolf said:
Looks good! How bout a closer shot of the chainguard? What are you thinking as far as bars & seat?

My brother sanded down through the red oxide primer someone sprayed on, till you can just make out "Schwinn American". I thought it might look good if we left it alone, so I masked it off. Probably gonna shoot clear over it and leave it alone. 8)

click to enlarge
I really like the chain guard reminds me of this truck I saw at a show
truck1.jpg

truck2.jpg

Still slogging along. Made a few changes, have a few more yet to try.

click to enlarge

Guess I got a "thing" for big red wheels... :lol:

Where's the NANNER seat? :? ...Where'd it go?. :shock: ....It looked GREAT!.........I thought the bike was beautiful WITH THE NANNER SEAT! :D

Heh heh, the 'nanner is gonna end up on sumthin' else, nuthin' goes to waste! :D

What do you guys think about this? Sure rides nice in this configuration.

click to enlarge

Still have a few more things I wanna do.

Re: First Rat!

KOTA said:
Coming out NICE!..... Have you been "lurking" for a while, cause you got the SHOE shots down pat! :lol:

Looks like a case of garage-floor-knee too. Bike looks nice.

Hi, Nice bike! In the shots with the banana seat on it, is that one of those 26" banana seats. If not, what were you using. I liked the way that seat seemed more at home on the larger frame.

Made up Set Back Seat Post

How well does it hold up? I'm concerned because Lord Big Bottom (aka me, myself) was pedaling in downtown Berkley on their so - so sidewalks this afternoon and apparently the sine waves from the sidewalks and my big caboose met together in a perfect storm and I bent the laid back seat post right at top of the seat post stem on my 2008 Schwinn SSX. I thought at first my Brooks Leather Cruiser seat got loose on the post, but it was very tight. I just lost a hard to find seat post because I either overtightened/overtorqued it at the seat post bolt or your truly has been drinking too many alcoholic beverages and should get back on the road bike to shed those unnecessary lbs...or maybe a combination of the two. I'm around 6'2" 200 lbs, can your homemade seat post handle a big caboose like mine?

Jimbo1959 said:
Made up Set Back Seat Post

How well does it hold up? I'm concerned because Lord Big Bottom (aka me, myself) was pedaling in downtown Berkley on their so - so sidewalks this afternoon and apparently the sine waves from the sidewalks and my big caboose met together in a perfect storm and I bent the laid back seat post right at top of the seat post stem on my 2008 Schwinn SSX. I thought at first my Brooks Leather Cruiser seat got loose on the post, but it was very tight. I just lost a hard to find seat post because I either overtightened/overtorqued it at the seat post bolt or your truly has been drinking too many alcoholic beverages and should get back on the road bike to shed those unnecessary lbs...or maybe a combination of the two. I'm around 6'2" 200 lbs, can your homemade seat post handle a big caboose like mine?

:mrgreen: Well, I'm 6' 3", and depending on whats fer supper, between 255-260lbs. Since I've made the seat post I've ridden the bike quite a bit, now granted, I try to avoid the potholes etc. :mrgreen: But it hasn't bent a bit since I made it.

Remember, I'm using steel rod not tube. I had to use a 4.5' piece of pipe to bend it, and I almost didn't have enough hp to git'er done! :D Don't cut the rod short, leave enough to extend down into the seat tube quite abit. Also remember this rod is heavy, but I don't do any racin' anyway, do you? :D

QUEASY RIDER said:
Hi, Nice bike! In the shots with the banana seat on it, is that one of those 26" banana seats. If not, what were you using. I liked the way that seat seemed more at home on the larger frame.

Yup, it is one of the longer seats! :) Good eye!

Amazing! With every tweak, I think it looks great just as is and then you add something and it just keeps on improving the more you tweak it. You certainly have the eye for the small details and how to tie it all together. It's totally balanced.

A very impressive build and a beautiful bike! 8)

Back