First Rat Rod project!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Heres a pic of the bike I just got last week, Itll be my very first Rod Rod! :D all Ive done so far is drop the seat and replce the new one piece Schwinn crank with a Mongoose three piece crank :mrgreen: Please let me know if you guys think its a good beginning :) going to be adding the chopper forks as soon as they arrive. (about a week or so)

P1241278.jpg

P1241277.jpg

P1241276.jpg

P1241275.jpg

P1241274.jpg

Hey there,

Place the following tags around your URLs to get the images to display in the body of the post:

P1241278.jpg

Just copy the code above and paste it into your post.

I turned off the code in this post, but it will work in yours.

that is a very interesting frame the way the top tube does not terminate at the seat post tube but wraps around it. what frame is that? as far as the build very nice it is refreshing to see a true rat bike that is not black :lol:

i would say lose the mongoose 3 piece crank and chainring...
it looks too modern on that bike...
just my opinion though...

I like

I totaly love it! beautful prewar frame. Do you have a clue as to what kind of frame it is? Columbia ???. Yes I would say your first effort is a real winner. Love those high-tech parts. And the color is very cool. Tires and wheels can raly make a bike also. 1-10, I give you a 10.

oops

I think I spoke to soon about the frame--got all worked-up-- still would like to know origin. pedals--- they are alloy-- If you would like to kick them up a notch-- you can ''polish'' those scars right out of them (ends)and squirt'em with some paint--clear-- no one will eer know. Another cool touch is to add a nice ''high-tech'' chain--15 bucks and you will be very pleased. remember...you asked for feed-back. You definately have it goin'on.

I love the feedback! Comments, good or bad, are what Im looking for, I would like to know the opinion of others and maybe use them on this bike or future builds :) as mentioned I will be adding the chrome chopper forks soon, and although I respect your opinions, I will be keeping the three piece crank, I know nothing about the frame, only that I paid $15.00 for the bike at my local fleamarket! :mrgreen: I know! I also planned on cleaning the pedals up a bit and painting them black, but not the arms as I would like them to match the forks, Im going to replace the rims and tires with mountain bike rims with a freewheel cog, and a set of 26x2.125 Maxxis Hookworms, dont know yet what type of handle bar Im going to use, Ill keep you guys updated with info and picks sometime in the near future :)

cool frame Geometry......

I have an old Mongoose BMX with a FULL CHROME
Version of that Chainring.....and an old Norco with that Chainring as well.

I think it would look best with a set of those Monarch Springers..they
would Flow nice with the Double Top Tubes..2 and 2 kinda thing.

a 24 inch Rear with a 26 inch front tire...the 3 piece cranks will afford
you options of lowering the bike and getting a shorter Crank for clearance.

I'll havta see the Chopper Forks to give my opinion on them..

I think it looks pretty Darn good right now..Love the Green Scheeme!

peace,
Kev.

I like it as it sits. :mrgreen:

For whatever reason, I never have been able to get into the chopper look for bicycles. I guess it's the whole motorcycle wanna-be thing or something. Makes me think of those cheap Wal-Mart Sting-Rays for kids.

A springer would really look cool on this bike and keep that vintage look.

But hey, the great part is that it's your bike and you can do whatever you want to with it. :wink:

Heres a couple of pics of some of the bikes I have stored in my dads basement, its nice and dry and cool down there year round, Ive got a few with springer forks and was thinking on trying the chopper forks just for a change, I have a lot more bikes in my basement! Ill post pics of them later on today if anyones interested :)
P1251294.jpg

P1251293.jpg

P1251292.jpg

P1251291.jpg

P1251290.jpg

P1251289-1.jpg

P1251288.jpg

P1251287.jpg

very interesting frame once again and i think it is kinda cool that you don't know what it is. although being a bicycle mechanic and having owned over 100 old bikes and seen a whole lot more and not being able to place the frame is driving me nuts at the moment i am sure it will pass. i like it as it is to each his own. take a look in the gallery and find my 1950's jc higgins kustom. when i first set up the bars my co workers thought it was stupid. then when it was all done they changed their tunes real quick.

I know for sure that the orange 26" bike is a Derby, it had the head badge on it when I got it, but was in really bad shape all around, the frame was the only thing I could save on the bike so I put it together as you see it in the pics, now the green 26" bike is another story, I havnt a clue as to what name brand it is :?

The Ferrai bike is good lookin. Classy with enough details to set it apart. The extra lights and mudflaps are a great touch you dont see often.

Back