First Project: Schwinn Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone, figured I'd post up my project I've been working on for the past week or two. Found a 1973 Schwinn Stingray forsale locally and figured a nice cruising bike would be fun. It wasn't in super rough condition when I bought her, I just have a tendency to polish and paint my toys.

This is how I got her.

0303130924_zpsc1c0d993.jpg

0303130927_zpsfa0f9005.jpg

0303130928_zps176e9fea.jpg

Starting to tear her down.

DSCN2838_zpsc9e6a5b7.jpg

DSCN2843_zpsda70c9ee.jpg

DSCN2842_zpsbc367899.jpg

The frame will be sand blasted down, and painted a nice deep metallic burnt orange. I have bought a new set of handle bars, and sissy bar. The rest of the chrome, besides the wheels cleaned up to my OCD standards. I am going to reupholster the seat, black with the white racing stipes and Schwinn "S". Tires will be white walls, on black rims if I can come up with them. Black grips, and still need to figure out what pedals. Oh and she will have an old school bell.

Anyways, I want to add some fenders to this bike. And I am not sure what Schwinn fenders I need, or how they mount. Does the front one mount to the bottom of the headset? There is a hole, but I haven't seen many if any Stingrays with fenders without brakes? The ones with brakes have a bracket that goes around the brake assembly. And I am not sure about the rear either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nice old 'ray. Personally, I'd leave the paint as is with the original decals, but it ain't mine, it's yours.

The front fender on coaster 'rays mount with one screw up through the center of the front fork. The front fender has no braces. The rear fender mounts in four spots: a tab off the kick stand housing; through the brace between the two seat stays; and two braces off the rear fender itself that attach to those little eyelets on the dropouts. Fenders for a mid-seventies model like yours are pretty common, so don't feel the need to buy the first set you see.

Have fun.

furyus

Yeah, I probably should... but she's going orange. Would it be a major problem to find a pic of the fender I need to be on the look out for?

Use ebay for a reference. Look for stock, complete bikes from the early 70's - there's usually plenty, with lots of pics from different angles. Once you see enough of them you'll know what's right and what isn't.

By all means paint it. There are plenty of Sting-Rays around. Just don't use any Chinese parts on it!

furyus

Here's a pic of the '68 Slik Chik I put together for my lovely fiance. These fenders would bolt right up to your '73.

slikchik_zpse1acd05b.jpg

furyus

Rough shape?
It's better condition then my 73' five speed stingray and my copper tone two speed.
That's a nice find and good shape!

Ah you misread that. Its not in rough shape. Thanks guys! Front fender has been purchased. That, a chain guard, and handle bars are all in the mail.

You guys might be able to help me out with this too... where can I find some fully blacked out wheels? 20" Coaster, with hubs etc. Thanks!

And here are some more pictures... getting there. Sand blasted the frame down, etched it, and she has been primed. Logos have all been hand cut out of vinyl. Going to paint them on. Wheels have arrived. Seat is getting reupholstered as we speak. Black with the white racing stripes. Like the Grey Ghost. The color its going is on the paint spray out cards. Should be painted up this week if I can get it into the paint booth at work this week.

179027_10152865867030413_143696819_n.jpg

480548_10152865866990413_718668109_n.jpg

553258_10152894143675413_692956730_n.jpg

46902_10152908737625413_1020272498_n.jpg

Very cool. Really like the rims and tires.like to see this one when its done.

Definitely looking forward to the finished product on this one! 8)

Back