First post- looking for ID help and build opinions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
My first post here. I've messed around with old bikes for a long time (since before I knew all my bikes were rat rods), and have a pretty good collection of junk. I just pulled these two frames out of the shed. Both are missing their head badges, so if anyone knows what they are I'd appreciate knowing.
I'm thinking of more of a "moto-bike" build for the primer frame, using Thick Brick tires and maybe some drum brakes. I don't have any 24" rims around at the moment- anyone have recommendations for what rims to use with the Thick Bricks?
For the yellow one, I think I will go for more of a board track look. May put a Monark straight leg springer on it- might look nice against the straight down tube.

frame01.JPG

frame02.JPG

I have some other projects in the works, which I will try to get around to photoing and posting. My Monark Silver King is almost done- just need to make a steer tube- and I have an Elgin Twin Bar that needs lots of rust removal and a plan for how to build it.
Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy,

The red frame is a Cleveland Welding built frame. It is a late (1941/42) version of the “Bent-Tank” frame based on the knobs on the fork crown. The yellow frame is a Colson “Snaptank” frame. Colson introduced that frame in 1938 and continued production until WW2 although it was bumped from use on their high-end models by the loop frames that were introduced in 1940.

The CWC may have been retailed as a Western Flyer based on the chainring pattern but both frames were sold by their manufacturers under many different badges so determining the true original branding is often impossible.

rms, thanks a lot for the reply and great information. I thought that the primered one was probably CWC, but had no clue on the Colson.
If you don't mind, here's a couple others that happened to be sitting on the porch (I have others, but they are in storage- will get pictures at a later date). The Schwinn is S/N E82244. If the Roadmaster has a S/N, it is filled in with extra paint.
Much appreciated,
Andy

schwinnlock01.JPG

schwinnlock02.JPG

roadmaster01.JPG

roadmaster02.JPG

Thanks. I used to ride the Roadmaster everywhere, but the rear wheel has finally lost enough spokes to make it more or less unrideable, and I haven't got around to rebuilding it yet.
Andy

The Schwinn is a prewar B model. The fenderlight came out in '40 so it's either a '40 or '41. If you had the chainguard you could possibly tell for sure which of the two years it was. If the crank is original to the bike it will have the year the bike was made stamped on it. You have to pull it to see. Looks like you have lots of "good junk"! 8) Welcome to the forum. Gary

Thanks, Gary.

More priceless antiques for your viewing pleasure... some stuff that was on the top of the pile in the storage unit.

This one just needs a new head tube for the fork, and it will be done:
rrb01.JPG

I have the seat clamp and the bottom bracket shroud for this:
rrb02.JPG

Anyone know who made this? I pulled it out of the trash.
rrb03.JPG

Cleveland Welding (I think), Monark, and Schwinn:
rrb04.JPG

rrb05.JPG

Schwinn lawn ornament (bet my neighbors love it...)
rrb06.JPG

I also have some neat stuff in my shop that I will try to photo... have ND, Morrow, Musselman, and Bendix cut-away coasters, and ND, Musselman, and Morrow parts boxes full of mostly NOS parts.

Thanks for all the replies,
Andy

Back