Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/13 Fender Light Wing

Taped up the fender light to paint a mimic of wing that is on the the tank and guard.

I sanded the tab filler on the nanner and was going to paint it black, but after thinking it through, I really think this is going to look better with primer red as the background color. I think the creme panel against the black was going to be too much contrast.

After a second coat and tape removal here is the result.

Freagin' awesome King! I love the new direction with the paint.

Man I love how the headlight works! It looks like a mini-me of the tank. :mrgreen:
It's so cool how the curve in the pressed metal gave it just the right shape for the paint to follow. I'm also thinking now that the cream did the trick on adding that contrast to the front fender.
Wow, all of that with such a simple bit of paint... well done!
WP_002347_zps6b922e3f.jpg

Thanks guys, I think it adds just enough creme to the front.

I really enjoyed painting up my matching helmet last year for Flexy.
IMG_7980.jpg

I plan to have one for Firewing as well. I picked up another helmet at a yard sale recently, so I stripped all the stickers off and removed the beat up foam inside. Threw some flat black on it to start with.

I'm also liking the way the closer to the ground it gets the less neat and light in tone the overall effect is.

A bit like being something that is used for the purpose designed the parts closer to the road and kicked up dust etc. are showing the wear.

The opposite of the trailer living rods where the undercarriage are painted, chromed and polished so much you cannot imagine them every being driven in real life. Then someone drives in with an older looking rat rod with the tarbsplashes, worn paint and chips and hint of oil that shows it gets driven and used often. Still loved and unique but used for purpose not as a museum display.

Your helmet this time might be a challenge.

With the wings on the tank etc. it brings to mind a 3d vision whee instead of a helmet with horns coming out the sides there are wings/feathers with a touch of flame. Going back to comic strip versions of Hermes or the old Thor.

Kroozerdave said:
I'm also liking the way the closer to the ground it gets the less neat and light in tone the overall effect is.

A bit like being something that is used for the purpose designed the parts closer to the road and kicked up dust etc. are showing the wear.

The opposite of the trailer living rods where the undercarriage are painted, chromed and polished so much you cannot imagine them every being driven in real life. Then someone drives in with an older looking rat rod with the tarbsplashes, worn paint and chips and hint of oil that shows it gets driven and used often. Still loved and unique but used for purpose not as a museum display.

Your helmet this time might be a challenge.

With the wings on the tank etc. it brings to mind a 3d vision whee instead of a helmet with horns coming out the sides there are wings/feathers with a touch of flame. Going back to comic strip versions of Hermes or the old Thor.

Never thought of it, but Firewing will kinda have a dirty underbelly.

You've got me thinking on the helmet now.
Maybe something like this
depositphotos_11285271-Hermes.jpg

Man if anybody ever takes your trash can you'll know it's yours, that thing is 50 shades of painted awesomeness. :lol:

Almost exactly the image I found searching just after the comment was made. After I made my comment I thought I had better see if the kind of thing I mentioned was out in internet land and not just something that went back to a long ago Aussie childhood.

Interesting it has somewhat the helmet style .

Unless you have something in your incredible collection of yard sale prop ideas that is already crying out to go that way like the 'fluerons' on another bike we know , it is probably a silly idea.

Just shows how images can stick in your mind and surface years later.

No doubt the Helmet, Nanner seat and tank will all share that fun feel that your other bikes have had.

Kroozerdave said:
Almost exactly the image I found searching just after the comment was made. After I made my comment I thought I had better see if the kind of thing I mentioned was out in internet land and not just something that went back to a long ago Aussie childhood.

Interesting it has somewhat the helmet style .

Unless you have something in your incredible collection of yard sale prop ideas that is already crying out to go that way like the 'fluerons' on another bike we know , it is probably a silly idea.

Just shows how images can stick in your mind and surface years later.

No doubt the Helmet, Nanner seat and tank will all share that fun feel that your other bikes have had.

I'll leave the cake decorating to FS? (Just picking on ya buddy )
I have other ideas on how to add wings to my helmet.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/14 Painted Nanner

Taped up the nanner for the creme center panel

Came out nicely. Still need to add the fire and wings and "F" badge to it.

The paint is coming out AWESOME! :shock:

:mrgreen:

Lowlife Lucas said:
Man those colors are going together so good!

Thanks man. Simple combo.
Rustoleum Professional Flat Black
Rustoleum Professional Red Primer
Rustoleum Painters Touch 2x Ivory Silk Satin

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/14 PaintedNanner+ WorkingLight

Put the guts back in the fender light.

Back