Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/5 Tank Question

double sweet man!!!

Troy

I'd go with my favorite color :wink: 8)

Couple of votes for rust and a vote for paint.
RMan, Thanks for reminding me it should mesh with the chainguard.
If I paint the outline of the tank, it will be primer red, with the creme FireWing insert.

One more element that it should mesh with is the nanner. If I stay bare metal with the nanner, it would tie in with the rusty sections of the tank.
If I paint the nanner, I will probably paint the tank too.

Decisions Decisions!!!

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/6 Nanner Graphics

Covered the nanner in masking tape to think up how/if I wanted to paint it.
Fairly quickly I decided I wanted a big "F" badge on it.
Then I followed the natural ribs of the seat to lay out three big creme feathers behind it.
Then decided to mimic the fender tip.
Then laid out some teardrop flames like the tank, followed by one long flame like the flame skirts and fender.
Had to decide on what the main color of the seat would be. Since the non creme section of the tank is gonna be primer red, I felt that the bulk of the seat needed to be flat black.
So, Flat Black seat, Creme feather panel, Primer red tip and flame outlines.

While looking around at different Firestone badges, I came across this one. I really like the ribbed lines behind the F.
firestone-shield-metal-sign.jpg

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/6 Nanner Graphics + Logo

kingfish254 said:
Covered the nanner in masking tape to think up how/if I wanted to paint it.
Fairly quickly I decided I wanted a big "F" badge on it.
Then I followed the natural ribs of the seat to lay out three big creme feathers behind it.
Then decided to mimic the fender tip.
Then laid out some teardrop flames like the tank, followed by one long flame like the flame skirts and fender.
Had to decide on what the main color of the seat would be. Since the non creme section of the tank is gonna be primer red, I felt that the bulk of the seat needed to be flat black.
So, Flat Black seat, Creme feather panel, Primer red tip and flame outlines.

While looking around at different Firestone badges, I came across this one. I really like the ribbed lines behind the F.
firestone-shield-metal-sign.jpg

Here is my first rough pass at the Firewing lettering logo.

I vote rust except for painted areas as well.

With your lettering for the Firewing logo. Is the original F actually alittle bit finer in both vertical and the base :x of where the centre horizontal stroke of the F comes out?

If so thinning down the strokes making up the lettering may look better (or worse).

Feel free to ignore the comments I know I don't have even 10% of the artistic flare on average here at RRB.

Kroozerdave said:
I vote rust except for painted areas as well.

With your lettering for the Firewing logo. Is the original F actually alittle bit finer in both vertical and the base :x of where the centre horizontal stroke of the F comes out?

If so thinning down the strokes making up the lettering may look better (or worse).

Feel free to ignore the comments I know I don't have even 10% of the artistic flare on average here at RRB.

Not quite sure if I follow you, but the Fire part is from a true Firestone logo, so it's exactly as you would see it at the tire store.

I appreciate comments, opinions, or criticism from everyone. Thanks for the input.

Since I enjoy it, I took the liberty of doing your text in photoshop :D I initially downloaded a similar font called "Bradley Gratis" on dafont.com...

http://www.dafont.com/search.php?q=brad ... =Firestone

It is public domain so no problems to use.

It wasn't good enough for my liking as is, so I used vector graphics and came up with this...

wkmd7q.jpg

Love your build and the graphics will look cool. 8)

I guess that does look just a little bit better.

DUDE!! You freaking rock! You absolutely read my mind and made it even better to boot!
I was just now sitting here in my shop.with my hand drawn lettering thinking that I need to call my graphics friend, and my phone beeped telling me I had a Firewing reply.
I LOVE IT!!
I DEFINITELY OWE YOU ONE!
THANK YOU GLEN!

kingfish254 said:
DUDE!! You freaking rock! You absolutely read my mind and made it even better to boot!
I was just now sitting here in my shop.with my hand drawn lettering thinking that I need to call my graphics friend, and my phone beeped telling me I had a Firewing reply.
I LOVE IT!!
HANK YOU GLEN!

No worries mate... if you need a higher res file, PM me your email address and I'll send one off :D

Glen said:
kingfish254 said:
I LOVE IT!!
HANK YOU GLEN!

No worries mate... if you need a higher res file, PM me your email address and I'll send one off :D
GLEN...YOU DO ROCK!!! I WAS LOOKING FOR THE SAME THING!! EACH ONE-TEACH ONE. NOW I JUST NEED IT COLORED :mrgreen: PUT ON LAMINATED PAPER AND WHAM !! ALMOST DONE. THANKS AGAIN

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/6 Glen Freaking Rocks! Logo

noodlenoggin said:
Aw man...you're gonna "F" up the seat?? :mrgreen:

That is gonna be sweet.

Well, I already decided to "F" up the tank, so why not the seat as well. :p
Thanks!

dracothered said:
Kingfish your build is on fire, watch out that it doesn't try to fly away on you with all those wings you are putting on it. :mrgreen:

Once I plop my big butt on that nanner, it'll stay grounded.

Sorry to dissapoint those of you that voted for rusty tank. I decided that it would tie into the other elements on the bike better if it was painted.
My fingers are sore from hand sanding these tank halves now.

I don't think I posted the work I started regarding the 48 Chrysler tailight.

Started fabbing the bracket.

Started breaking down the light that I plan to mount inside.

Cut a hole behind the half marble glass to be able to slide the triple LED behind. This half marble magnifies whatever is written on it, so I may have something on there.

Glen was nice enough to send me a primer red logo as well.
Thanks again Glen!

I just appreciate how much time you spend test trialing ideas then going on to improve on the items out of sight.

Over the past 7 years or so I have been coming across visual people.

If they can see it they can improve it.

Every one of your bikes has been an ongoing inspiration to me, so any change you decide on is most likely the best way for it to be indelibly your creation.

Back