Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-6/15 Painted Skirts + Leather

Ooo THAT LOOKS SO NICE! MAN IT LOOKS LOVE DOVEY!! BEAUTIFUL MAN! YO B CRANK THAT JEFFERSON STARSHIP "STRANGER", TELL ME HOW YA LIKE IT AND I'M BOUT TO MAKE ME A SAMMICH!! HAHAHA IBJB!! PEACE

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-6/16 Painted Fenders??

I am still considering options for rusting the chrome on the rear fender, but it doesn't look like that will be an easy task.
I am thinking through other options.
1. Leave the fenders as they with natural mismatched patina.
2. Paint both fenders to match each other.

Now that I see primer red skirt guards plays with the flat black seat brace, I am thinking about painting both fenders flat black. What do you think?

IMG_2278_zpsef6afe17.jpg

IMG_2270_zpsd83e2880.jpg

Black fenders would go perfectly with the frame color. If you paint them flat black, you can hit them with some 0000 steel wool to put a little sheen to them (where applicable, of corse)

Two weeks until I get a peek at this one in person!

Cheers buddy,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Black fenders would go perfectly with the frame color. If you paint them flat black, you can hit them with some 0000 steel wool to put a little sheen to them (where applicable, of corse)

Two weeks until I get a peek at this one in person!

Cheers buddy,
Dr. T

Look forward to your face to face critique in a couple of weeks. It would be great to have another set of eyes on this baby.

socratesjpt said:
Looking good. the tail light is bad butt !!

Thanks man. Full mockup with tail light coming soon.

dracothered said:
I think flat black is a good option as it will help make them match and make the seat support go away even more. It will also go well with all the rest of the bike.

I am leaning strongly towards flat black fenders for those and other reasons.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-6/16 FullMocks w/PaintedSkirts

kingfish254 said:
I have been looking these lane photos over and I am thinking that the leather wrapped ramshorns almost disguise the coolness of them. The leather is too close to the bike color and it just blends in rather than show off how they compliment the curve of the tank and chainguard. I am going to test something different on the ramshorns. I think I might remove the leather and paint them primer red as well. What do y'all think??

IMG_2276_zpsfda660d1.jpg

IMG_2273_zps1e2b51bb.jpg
Leather looks OK, but you need to "Get a grip on things."

Before I could make a choice about painting the fenders or not, I needed to see a full mock up without the white and blue. Now that the skirt guards and seat brace are painted, I put everything back together.

- finally mounted the front fender to the upper fork
- put the speedo in the axle. It works fine with this fork.
- removed the leather wrap from the rams horns
- mocked up the stick shift
- mocked up the light

Here are the photos from the lane.

Tried out the tan leather. I think this will work. It goes well with the rim color. What do you think?

MazdaFlyer said:
Leather looks OK, but you need to "Get a grip on things."

Just ask Yoots, grips are one of the last things that I do on a build. :mrgreen:

The sun was shining good in QueenFish's courtyard, so I took some photos here as well just to get her to look at my bike. :mrgreen:

that looks cool!! the leather :? will have to wait to see the seat done but looks like its a good color! flexi has some competition!!

Troy

Lookin' good King, glad someone can pull off the built-up patina look. It's a real challenge. And I've given up. Although I may leave my seat bare metal.

laidbackcool said:
Nice job with the skirts and I really like how they match the tires, spokes, and especially the light casing on the front fender! Very cool!

Thanks buddy. The primer I used on the headlight actually has a little more red than the type I used on the spokes and skirt guards. I will end up putting a coat of the "redder" primer on skirts. I also want so some oil rub on the primer parts to bring them more in line with the chainguard.

jats said:
that looks cool!! the leather :? will have to wait to see the seat done but looks like its a good color! flexi has some competition!!

I am liking the leather more and more. The seat will be later on, so we'll see.
Shhhhh, I have been trying to keep FireWing a secret from Flexy.

JoKeR63 said:
Lookin' good King, glad someone can pull off the built-up patina look. It's a real challenge. And I've given up. Although I may leave my seat bare metal.

Actually, if you want to see built up patina, I should have left it how I got it. :mrgreen:
410C6D8E-ECA6-4668-9ECA-A1F28C6C932D-2907-000004BFFF989F30.jpg

kingfish254 said:
Just ask Yoots, grips are one of the last things that I do on a build. :mrgreen:

Don't get me started! :x

The bars look better unwrapped.

Looks awesome so far. That seat is killer! And those bars are always a win.

Killer bike...its really beginning to flow nicely now. 8)

Back