Fire, Water, Steam, Steel: Two Spot's Trains

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This came up in my post on bike snobs. Before bikes, my first love was steam powered engines. Live steam is a hobby for those who like fire, grease, pistons, gears, loud noises, and explosive pressures. :D Like my bikes, nothing is left stock. Everything is modified in some way. Here is a selection of some of my stuff.

Engine number one. A modified 0-4-0, 8 ton industrial tank engine built in 1:20 (approx. 5/8"=1') scale:
DSC00407.jpg

The ORIGINAL "two spot" the second locomotive on my RR is a customized model of a 16 ton "Shay" type logging locomotive featuring a full repaint, extensive detailing, custom lighting system with working headlights and cab light for night operations and custom resonator-type steam whistle. Built in 1:20 (approx. 5/8"=1'):
IMG_2015.jpg

The BIG two spot. A 1:8 (1.5"=1') scale version of the same 16 ton shay. This model weighs 275 pounds and can haul full size human passengers as my friend Mark is demonstrating:
IMG_5534.jpg

Custom Case style steam traction engine. Kitbashed from a british made model. Originally alcohol fired. Converted to a radiant-type ceramic gas burner that I built from scratch. The gas burner has an over size heating surface and a ceramic insulated fire box. This thing steams like crazy and runs like the proverbial "swiss watch". shown with custom threshing machine. Built in 1:20 (approx. 5/8"=1'):
IMG_2022.jpg

Lastly, my latest creation and pride and joy. A German style Krauss locomotive heavily modified over multiple years into an 8 ton American style 0-4-0. The engine features a custom hardwood cab with working doors and windows made from real glass. 100% scratch built tender with over size water capacity. custom burner with stainless steel radiant surface for hot-rodded steaming performance. Custom dual chime resonator steam whistle (loud and deep!) And full custom paint job. Built to a scale of 1:8 (1.5"=1') Weighs approximately 80 pounds wet and can haul full size human passengers:
IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

A view inside the cab:
IMG_2235.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Regards,

I know nothing about trains.. except that the ones you have are completely awesome. Please take it as a compliment when I say that I cannot tell what is custom and what is stock. Whatever you did looks like it belongs there and looks great.

Nice engines.

How about a small steam engine on a bike? The ultimate steampunk.

schwinnmesa said:
Awesome! I just watched a History channel program about steam engines. It's amazing how powerful they are... Neat stuff!

Hey Mesa, was wondering where you were hiding :wink:

Was never much into steam stuff until my boy fell in love with tractors, we hit the local threshermans show whenever we can now ... it's impressive for adults too :shock:
They had a steam powered train track around the fairgrounds, it's got about 4 or 5 passenger cars it pulls around behind it, the engineer was shoveling coal in it again about half way around the track, he said if it was just kids riding he wouldnt have to run it so hot :lol:

Back