*FINISHED!* Trek's First Mountain Bike; Vintage MTB Content

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm pretty excited about this one, Trek's very first mountain bike, the 1983 Model 850. Went to pick this baby up first thing this morning. Was initially just going to buy the frame only, but on the phone the guy says he has a bunch of the original parts, so for 10 bucks more he throws in most of the more important stuff like the slingshot stem and cranks and wheels.

I know the vintage MTB scene is pretty hot right now. I'm going to build the complete bike and enjoy it for five minutes but I'd really like to put this bike in the hands of someone that really digs the old MTB's. It's a neat old bike and it's got a lot of enjoyment left in it.

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

83Trek18.jpg

All Done!
6388a58f.jpg

372a65ef.jpg

5fcb8a56.jpg

55d28062.jpg

Re: Trek's First Mountain Bike; One For The Vintage MTB Crowd

HAHAHA the guy threw in the black 7x's for $10 :lol: sweet find!!

Tailwinds said:
scrumblero said:

I know right!?!? :shock: :shock:

YA! theres a pair of black 7x hoops on evilbay... . just the hoops mind you... for $265.. and those are 20's WAY more common than the 26's.. :mrgreen:

Nice bike..May be I should pay more attention to the Trek Numbers..I know the Difference between those Mt Trek 830's Should stare looking for the 820's :wink:

scrumblero said:
Tailwinds said:
scrumblero said:

I know right!?!? :shock: :shock:

YA! theres a pair of black 7x hoops on evilbay... . just the hoops mind you... for $265.. and those are 20's WAY more common than the 26's.. :mrgreen:

Oh man, isn't THAT tempting!?!? I soooo don't wanna part this bike out. I've got it looking like a bike now. Gave the wheels a serious polishing and found some old school used gum-sidewall mtn. rubber in my stash (DON'T THROW ANYTHING AWAY!!!).

The only parts I'm missing are a complete set of brakes (front and rear, cantilevers and brake levers), and front derailleur and both shifters.

I have the di-comp cantis that went on there and the suntour mountain front shifter and front derailuer. I may have the rear shifter too. I gotta dig up some stuff later this week, I'll see what I got... :wink:

scrumblero said:
I have the di-comp cantis that went on there and the suntour mountain front shifter and front derailuer. I may have the rear shifter too. I gotta dig up some stuff later this week, I'll see what I got... :wink:

That would be cool bro-seph, let me know, thanks!

OK homie, I got everything but the rear brake lever and shifter for ya. .. PM me if you want me to pay it forward to ya. you gotta pay shipping tho... I B po :roll:

IMG_20110728_214802.jpg

its your lucky day man!! I just scored an old Miyata with your rear shifter and brake lever on it.. :mrgreen:

are those the right cranks?? I thought they had Suginos.. :?

Sweeeet!

Yep, those are the Sugino cranks, plenty of wear, like somebody wore jeans whilst they rode it 1000mi, but in nice shape.

Thats an awesome ride, I noticed alot of the parts are the same as my mongoose's old mountain bikes ride like a dream to and are fun to ride

That is an extra sweet bike.

I don't think the Diamond Back Ascent that I am working on is quite as old as the TREK, but a lot of things in your pictures sure look familiar. You got my juices flowing on the DB again! :D

Did I say WOW?

This bike is an EXCELLENT ride!

Lots of folks, especially the modern road bikers knock Trek, presumably because they're the biggest, everybody's got one, sellouts, yada yada.

I just also found a '79 Trek roady with Reynolds 531. Typically I don't like the ride quality of vintage road and mountain bikes but these old Treks really are a pleasure to ride.

Back