Finally a Stingray!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted a Stingray since I was a little kid and I first heard about them from my dad. But all we ever found were Schwinn Scramblers or Sears Spyders. But two weeks ago at the local hippy bike co-op I found a Stingray frame in the garbage frames heap and flipped out. I immediately bought it, and two weeks later this is it:

DSCN0037.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

Most of the parts were cannibalized off my Sears Spyder I've been riding around campus, but it works, great! The seat was a NOS one I've had around for years, it's got HMX on the top, which I think stands for Huffy Moto Cross, but I'm not sure. The forks are off the sears, the sissy bar is off an old Huffy, cranks are Schwinn, Schwinn rear wheel, and an ashtabula gooseneck. I don't know what the rest is. Using the serial # I found out the frame was made in June of '68.

I've been riding it daily since I put it together about a week ago, it's going to get a nice flat black paintjob in the near future, but right now the sandblaster is broken!

It's sunny out, so I'm off to go do wheelies, annoy hipsters on fixies, and jump over stuff downtown!

It only took me 47 years to get my first Schwinn Stingray.

Enjoy yours like I enjoy mine.

StingRays are cool. I got my first one for Christmas in either '65 or '66. I still like them but I'm way too tall to ride them anymore. I still see them around for sale now and then here locally. B607

Latest posts

Back