FENIX- Finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I began parting the bike for painting, I realized there were still a few things I hadn't done, but needed done. First was the front disc brake, I hadn't attached the brake. I found an aftermarket bracket and welded it and the fork braces together.

Next, was the seat post area. I love the lines of the bike, but mid section (to me) seems too spindly…

I wanted to beef it up, so I added a brace to help it visually.

Lastly, how to fit the side tanks? Originally, I wanted to tig or solder the sides on, but I was told that the thin metal was problematic, plus the heat would melt the rubber cable casing and the plastic medallions. So I needed to step back and rethink how to attach the tank sides.

So I decided to lose the medallions

Added a plate and a nut to both sides. It will now attach to the frame with a bolt.

Here's where I'm landing with the side tanks…I placed an all-thread through the frame's tank, added a nut to both ends, and a washer cut in half and tacked to the rear (to prevent the tank from moving around). Next, tied it together with the side tanks and a medallion on the outside. The medallion is actually a Surly chain tensioner pulled apart and capped with a acorn nut.

Great eye on using that chain tensioner part as medallions!

I was rummaging through my parts bin and I forgot I had two Spaceliner tanks I've never used…(but I now have an idea on how to use them):grin:

I got my light working…the original light was a 12V Xeon motorcycle lamp. I easily converted it to a battery operated LED. Now I just need to locate a place for the switch…the light's billet housing is to thick for an on-off switch.

Last edited:
Holding my ground, ready to get blown away with the Spaceliner tank usage..

Looked back at

I looked back at your pics and was trying to think where you might be able to use TWO liner tanks??!!!!!!
Knowing the scale of those razor bars as I do, I am wondering if you are going to have the liner tanks on each arm of those bars???????!!!!!! Do I win the prize?

lookin killer! I cant wait to see what you do with the spaceliner tanks:39:

FYI, I'm not using the entire tanks, just the chrome bezels. Here's a very quick mock up on how it will be used. Also if you look to the right of the bezel on top of the fork; that's the toggle switch for the headlight.

Last edited:
Those bezels line up nicely

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I was very surprise when I had the idea to see if it would work and tried it...it looked like it was made for the side tanks. I was hoping to do a tear down on the bike and paint this weekend…but my daughter just purchased her first home and asked me to help her to do quite a few things around the house. I told her no problem...I can commit and do it in two weeks after the competition. But next week is her only time off (her boss is out town)! :arghh:What's a father to do?

The next two weeks are going to be a crazy!!!:crazy2:

Thanks guys. I was very surprise when I had the idea to see if it would work and tried it...it looked like it was made for the side tanks. I was hoping to do a tear down on the bike and paint this weekend…but my daughter just purchased her first home and asked me to help her to do quite a few things around the house. I told her no problem...I can commit and do it in two weeks after the competition. But next week is her only time off (her boss is out town)! :arghh:What's a father to do?

The next two weeks are going to be a crazy!!!:crazy2:
If my baby girl came to me and said daddy help, I'd drop everything. Love my kids more than life and bikes.
I can build/customize bikes whenever,I'm there for my kids every moment of every day. Every heartbeat I ever have.
Build when you can,spend every moment with your kids you think you don't have.
I know my kids don't view this site but I just want to say, I love you both. ALWAYS.

Ok so anyway,help YOUR baby girl. We'll all see your bike finished when it's finished.

Hey Falstaff, I wasn't complaining about my 32 year old baby girl…I was trying to compromised…looking for a win-win resolution:happy:. It really doesn't matter (I always concede to my only child). We'll start work on her house tomorrow.

I'm extremely proud of her…because she purchased this house on her own and she never ask for monetary assistance from me.

Today we were in Home Depot looking for lumber for a fence she wants to install. She saw a warped board and asked about it…which triggered a response from me, "Didn't I share with you how to look for straight boards?" She replied, "yeah, you look down the board... I remember what you've taught me."

We walked off and she continued to talk, "all my friends are curious how I know how to do so much? I always tell them, I learned it all from my Poppa... I'm the son he never had."

That comment made me feel warm all over:happy:

Man if I could double like that I would. Never thought you were complaining,just letting us know your build might be on hold a bit.
If she ends up building like her dad then she needs her own tv show.

Back