Felt Vintage Iron MX Saddle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Too bad I couldn't score the rest of the bike, but I got this cool saddle off ebay. Seller has another one currently listed if anybody is interested. For those who aren't familiar, a few years back, Felt made a series of bikes in conjunction with a company that restores vintage MX motorcycles. The first one was styled after a 1972 Husqvarna 400 like the one featured in On Any Sunday ridden by Malcolm Smith. They also made a yellow Yamaha style model and a blue Bultaco.

This saddle is really long and narrow to mimic the form of a motorcycle saddle. For some scale, I put a Brooks B17 standard next to it. The seller told me he raced MX for 30 years until he broke his pelvis. The narrow profile apparently hurt and he put something else on the 2 bikes he has. I asked how much extra I would have to pay him to send the rest of the bike and he politely declined my request to purchase one of his bikes. Can't say I blame him, but it never hurts to ask.

Also picked up this cool GT piston stem on a pretty well abused Dyno bmx I bought for parts at Goodwill. Hoping to use both pieces on flat-tracker style build I'm a schemin'.

That was the first thing I pulled off of the Vintage Iron bike I had for a while.

I likened it to sitting on a 2x4....sideways. :43:

When you're crawling around at flat-foot height on a boardwalk bomber, bmx-ing or banging rough off-road terrain with the saddle down out of the way, padding works. If you're set up for sailing down the hard road with good seated extension and controlling side angle with your seat, shape is everything. Thick padding just reduces control and makes your butt squirm trying to maintain constant height. Thus the popularity of high end leather and stiff hole-in-the-middle wedge saddles.

Back