Extra tall kickstand??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I'm having kickstand issues with my current build, I can't seem to find one long enough. I have 26" rims, you can see in the pic I have it proped up with a 1/2 " board.... Someone help!

99_zps2ff93c97.jpg

I use a Pletscher dual leg kickstand on my stretch. This is the kind that folds up to one side. I didn't cut the legs off on it and on a hard surface the rear wheel is about an inch off the ground. Some of the ones like you have come with adjustable legs. They're like little boots on each leg with a set screw. Could you put a spacer between the frame and the kickstand?

af_043.jpg

af_022.jpg

Thanks, I have an adjustable one with boots but my rear tire is too wide for it (3.5 inches). What's wrong with the fork? When the bike sits on both tires the bottom bar is perfectly straight. Recommendations for a spacer?

There's nothing wrong with your fork, just with it that long, it's changing the height. Doesn't take much. You can see how much shorter mine is. I wasn't trying to make a pedal scraper but it's pretty much the same height as my old springer front.

I don't know how your kickstand is mounted. Mine mounts to a steel channel welded to the bottom of the chain stay. There is a big bolt going through the top down into the kickstand. If I needed to, I could make an aluminum block as a spacer. If you're using a 3" tire, that's probably adding some height as well.

I measured my bike and when it's up on the stand, there is 12" between the ground and the bottom of the chain stay. Also, I'm running 2.35 tires and the kickstand is pretty close to it.

You may have to go to a one-legged kickstand. That's what I originally had but the bike was very easy to knock over.

Looks like cast aluminium, bending might break it. Maybe the side-stand from an old 27" road bike or a 700c bike (28"+29"). The block spacer would probably work. You might be able to find some tubing you could jam over the ends, if it doesn't make it stick out too far when retracted.

Yeah, tried to bend and broke it :x ... FOund a 15" side kickstand on ebay, I'll see if that solves it... thanks for the help

Back