Euro (new tech) for Amer. (Old school)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am currently gathering parts for a new build. I have a 62 Typhoon frame,as a base,I want to use a BB conversion. This set-up has sealed bearings and sqaure tapered spindle ends. My only concern is chainguard clearance, have any of you used a set-up like this and had issues with retaining a chainguard ? I really want to retain the guard, so as to keep the overall appearance some what stock. There really isnt going to be a whole bunch of" Schwinn" on this one anyway, so pipe up, show/tell me of your experiences with this app.

Really? Nobody? Come on fellas, dont leave me hangin here! I have a Worksman wheelset, PHAT triple tree with integrated stem, and a set of black mini apes ready for this one. I am shooting for all black and chrome, the exception being the white decals on the frame.The BB conv. I am going to purchase is an aluminum set-up sold by Dans comp. :wink: If itdoesnt fit well I have a Schwinn crank and Mag chainring in reserve. But I would really like something a little different on this one. 8)

Rick I had to improvise on my RRBO5 build for the crank / chainring hitting the frame I used an old thread in cup set and found a shaft that had more overhang but it was longer overall between bearing race humps. I cut it and welded a sleeve between the shortened pcs. If you are going to stick to sealed bb draw a to scale outline of chain stay bb housing and where the rear cog sits go to a LBS add try to have them let you lay some assorted bbs on the paper diag. Till you find one that works with your crank offset. When the chain line matches up the chainguard should also fit.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=26172&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=90

Gary

If you use a bottom bracket for a track bike the chainline is ~42mm close to a coaster brake, look for a square taper spindle ~107-109mm long, should be real close to original chainring line. Measure from the middle of rear hub to the center of the cog to find out exactly what you need.

Sheldon Brown should have some info on chainlines, probably nail down the front spindle length a bit better also, as there's anything from 103 - 110mm out there. The cranks may still touch the chainguard though.

Thanks, nowIi have an idea what I need to look at!Time to get measuring! :mrgreen:

Back