Estate Sale Rust/Lichen Bucket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wondered when they went to the forward facing dropouts, now I know, in 1954.

As for what brand it was badged as, a closeup of the area on the head tube where the badge was may show the outline, from what I see it looks like a Western Flyer outline.

I found some at a Stine's hardware store. Maybe you should just clear coat it to preserve the lichens, ok last one.
I have a bunch of shiny bikes. I had a naturally rusty 47 Roadmaster that I sold last winter. Thinking that this one may stay rusty but rideable. So to preserve the lichens it will need to stay outside, thus always ready to go. An "actual" rat rod in waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This bicycle is a 1946 CWC.:39:
Looking good.:thumbsup:
So how is '46 determined?

ff82607acc7b24e81c514f5dc345d41f.jpg

From all I've read and researched, the 54Cw signifies 1954, as do the other features on your bike. All the background I've read says the numbers aren't in an order that would show the year. There might be some info out there I haven't seen though.

C- Cleveland
O- Ohio
6- sixth year
if I remember correctly.
I appreciate your input, this a learning experience for me.
ff82607acc7b24e81c514f5dc345d41f.jpg

From all I've read and researched, the 54Cw signifies 1954, as do the other features on your bike. All the background I've read says the numbers aren't in an order that would show the year. There might be some info out there I haven't seen though.
Likewise I appreciate you input, again a learning experience. I have a certified '47 Western Flyer, different frame though. I need to look at the SN on it.
I did a posting on Facebook "Old Bikes Club". Waiting to to see what might come up there.

So we're at CWC frame and '46 or '54. Branding could have been several possibilities.

CWC frames are tricky. The give away is the big C little w, aside from that dating is a general this year to that year thing. ie: 51-56.
I've tried to find any info that narrows down an exact year code, to no avail.

The frame I used for setback was an odd one, no actual serial number. Just the digits 168 engraved, not stamped on the BB. One of the reasons I think it might be a Snyder frame.

CWC frames are tricky. The give away is the big C little w, aside from that dating is a general this year to that year thing. ie: 51-56.
I've tried to find any info that narrows down an exact year code, to no avail.

The frame I used for setback was an odd one, no actual serial number. Just the digits 168 engraved, not stamped on the BB. One of the reasons I think it might be a Snyder frame.
Dude, I can pretty much tell a CWC frame, but as far as dating, I don't even try. I got so confused and turned around, I gave up. I just say early/late 40s/50s, haha.

Based on the "Cleveland Welding S/N Project" on the CABE thread, the 54Cw seems to indicate 1954 as previously posted by Wildcat. Kirkpatrick also posted a similar conclusion. I'll go with that for now. Thanks for all the input.
Yah I'm anal-retentive.

Last edited:
Added some truss rods found at last El Torreon swap meet.
90aff73f6abe5bb918d70fd6d118c82e.jpg

05df49c05e7e035ac2a62950bb2ae1bb.jpg

Guess I need to put this bike in a build thread.
Pennsylvania tire on front, Schwinn Typhoon on back. JC Higgins wheels and drive train. Stuck seat post, Wald pedals.

Last edited:
Oxalic Acid is sold in crystal form sometimes. Big pain. Deck Brite is premixed oxalic acid. I would guess many of the deck and fence cleaner have it as the main ingredient.

Back