Estate find Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Luckily I was off today and hit an estate sale with less than great turnout being on a Wednesday.
This is a '61 Schwinn Panther III single speed (sans tank)that was laying buried under a pile of junk in a garage that looked like it wasn't opened in 30 years.

Typical old Schwinn- I put a few drops on the chain ,pumped up the ancient tires and rode it all afternoon.

Picture_0008.jpg

If you need a stainless front fender, I may have one around. Cool bike. You don't see many around with the peanut tank.

Say...does it look to anyone else that the front tire/wheel set has been replaced with a S-2/2.125 set up? The front tire looks wide and the wheel looks S-2ish to me...maybe that's why the front fender is missing 'cause its too wide for a middle weight fender...? Or maybe I just need a new lens prescription!...What say you,Spokeshave?...Pappy 8)

Pappy said:
Say...does it look to anyone else that the front tire/wheel set has been replaced with a S-2/2.125 set up? The front tire looks wide and the wheel looks S-2ish to me...maybe that's why the front fender is missing 'cause its too wide for a middle weight fender...? Or maybe I just need a new lens prescription!...What say you,Spokeshave?...Pappy 8)

Wow, nice catch! It sure looks like it, doesn't it?

Also, I think Panthers always had chrome fenders, the stainless were only for Vettes and Jags I believe. It seems odd as the Panther was top o' the line.

My 59 Panther II has painted fenders... from what I read on here that was the only year they had painted fenders.

Hereis a pic... mine is in it's beginning stages... and I am also looking for the peanut tank!

E2D59072-orig.jpg

That is a nice find for a estate sale.. I found this one on Craigslist over the summer. I believe the fenders are chrome because The earlier Panthers had chrome fenders & Panthers where made longer than corvettes & Jaguars so they just decided to keep the fenders chrome on the Panthers. But this is just a theory. Im also thinking your bike originally had a two speed kick back rear hub because its a Panther II ??
0049.jpg

I had a '61 over this past summer and it had stainless. Maybe it was an option?

tanksalot said:
That is a nice find for a estate sale.. I found this one on Craigslist over the summer. I believe the fenders are chrome because The earlier Panthers had chrome fenders & Panthers where made longer than corvettes & Jaguars so they just decided to keep the fenders chrome on the Panthers. But this is just a theory. Im also thinking your bike originally had a two speed kick back rear hub because its a Panther II ??
0049.jpg
It's a Panther 3. Go figure.
Now I have to go out to the garage and take another look at the rims. They kinda looked fat to me too.
I don't know what I'm going to do with it. I have a black late '50s Corvette 3 speed in roughly the same condition.
This might be a coin flip. Save one and either sell or part the other.

Ok Now Im confused .. I realized after I posted that Bike in the first photo is a panther III & that I bet was a 3 speed bike ?? Is the rear fender on that bike chrome or aluminum ??

The other black bike being a Panther II is that a single speed or a 2 speed kick back ?? Also are the black fenders original for that bike ?? I know that the late 1950s American I had has painted fenders like that ..
Im just wondering thanks,..

My find is a Panther 3. It doesn't have the rear bracket for the hand brake so it was either a single or a 2 speed kickback. Judging that the bike is pretty much original I would say it's a single speed.
It does have S-7 rims but the front tire is a Goodyear Eagle "134" -26" X 1 3/4". I didn't think anybody but Schwinn made tires to fit Schwinns back in the day. I too am a bit confused.
This bike is growing on me.

My front tire is made by Raleigh go figure ... 26 x 1 3/4 .. The ones that don't fit on Schwinn rims are are 26x 1.75 tires .. I also didnt think other companys made Schwinn tires back in the day for the longest time. but Ive seen my share of old off brand tires that fit on Schwinn rims in the last 5 years for some odd reason.

I think these Panthers could have come in Single, 2-speed, or 3-speed. Panther II was only 2 years I believe so those aren't as common for sure. It's just like the Jaguar XJ series. Between 1968-1987 you have Mk I, Mk II and Mk III all with minor differences.

Good point.
And to think it was advertised as a Typhoon in the estate sale listing. Even laying on it's side and a crumby picture I had a feeling it was something else. I also picked up a wierd British bike but one enigma is enough for this posting. LOL

Latest posts

Back