Emotional Rescue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this old Schwinn, at an auction, a few years back.
HPIM0314.jpg

I checked the serial #, and found out that it was a '51. Its a 24", but I love these lines, so I had to do something with it. I got some tires & wheels, out of the trash. (I'm in the trash collection business BTW) The forks broke when I tried to straighten them, so I borrowed these from another "trash" find.
HPIM0325.jpg

Rideable, no doubt. And truly, a Ratrod bike. But I wanted something different.
As a 24", it was a bit small for me, but perfect for my Lady friend. So it soon became, her bike. I always wanted a Tanker, so this one seemed like a good canidate for a build. I cut the side panels out, and welded it to the angled pieces, which are brazed to the frame.

I picked up the rack, at an antique store, on a road trip. It was $2.50 if I remember correctly.
PICT0002.jpg

The rear braces, are actually from a large conduit spool. The front mount on the rack, was rusted and damaged beyond repair. So I made a new mount, out of an old stainles steel ruler, another trash find. The fenders are Wald fenders, and the chainguard, not shown, is another piece, that I made. I found a set of forks on e-bay, and it was time to put it together.

I asked her, what color she wanted. She answered, Teal...... WOW! Teal.... I found this powder blue, so I tried this. I wanted a "Vintage" look, and I thought the cream color would make it. Sand, fill, prime, paint, mask, paint again, clear coat..... Whew!

After the painting was done, it was time for assembly. I have a huge inventory, of Allen head screws, so I thought that would be a nice touch.

I contacted a pinstriper, and asked him to help me me out. He said, "Theres not much, that you can do with a bike". I told him that he needed to see this one first. HE performed his majic, and stood back. We both just said, WOW!
PICT0001.jpg

After that, it was time for the decals that I made, and more clear coat.
PICT0003.jpg

BTW. She loves it ....

Latest posts

Back