ElgIndian - 1927 Elgin Boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, since you asked, my opinion on the bar wrap is yes and no. I like the concept, but I'm not liking the black cord so much. It looks a little to fresh if that makes any sense. Maybe if you could find some old worn leather boot laces and wrap them it would go better with the saddle.

BTW, I'm sure you had a reason for choosing the number 4, but it really fits the space perfectly! The bike is looking great!

BTW, I'm sure you had a reason for choosing the number 4, but it really fits the space perfectly! The bike is looking great!

Yes, the 4 has a purpose. I'm contemplated (and may still) painting a "B" above and left of the 4 and a "C" to the lower right.

B4C = brett4christ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First fit test of the tank/panel/bars...

cc174d718f8dc98114b5470d6819f16a.jpg

f573a8bba68d7a0d9e5fd1479c350dac.jpg

Opinion on the bars in place??
fd19cdf12494dda46999072aa5e15798.jpg

"Oil" panel is just resting in place. And the tank "may" get leather straps as I can't find what I'm looking for to make tank straps in metal...
fe6c2576b8d409a47d09bf915c32bf67.jpg

3b70d1ebfb4d01d77c1127e904f96ff7.jpg

Would the "new" tank/panel paint be too much with the "old" frame patina?
b029937cf4a86b7edbc76f3a67eaadeb.jpg

Keep in mind, I still have the chain guard to install....

That's like saying the new tires and old wheels don't match. I say, mix the old and new. Isn't that the back bone of rat rod bikes?

That's like saying the new tires and old wheels don't match. I say, mix the old and new. Isn't that the back bone of rat rod bikes?

Thanks OJ! That's what I was thinking once I put it all together! Now, I have to repaint the chainguard...I had already tried distressing it! [emoji15][emoji12]

for your Emblem , if you can get your hands on brass sheet/shim , its possible to great results painting it , this graphic was lazer cut by a friend on vinyl , but the indian badge does not have that much details
DSCN6440_zps2ieycvg6.jpg

DSCN6438_zpsyixjjs6o.jpg
DSCN6458_zps5c1ybda6.jpg

Very good job with the oil tank (and paint job on it) really complete the look :41:

Ok, just my $0.02.
I think the tank will look good new or aged, I agree with TRM about old laces or leather hobby wrap on the bars.
And I say go for the B C on the oil tank, it's your bike after all. And it look as great.

Tanks paint stays new, you did a great job, showcase it. Weather the cord with colored chalk, easy to work with and washes off to rework until you're happy then spray it with satin. Hobby Lobby or similar has it... Dog collars may be the answer to your straps... Top five bike right now bro. B4C is an awesome idea too.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Tanks paint stays new, you did a great job, showcase it. Weather the cord with colored chalk, easy to work with and washes off to rework until you're happy then spray it with satin. Hobby Lobby or similar has it... Dog collars may be the answer to your straps... Top five bike right now bro. B4C is an awesome idea too.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

First of all...Thanks for the kudos, Carl! There are SEVERAL DOZEN bikes that have "IT" before mine, but feel honored that you like my build.

Secondly, thanks for the idea! This cording is a waxed nylon variety that might take well to chalking. I'll give it a try once its together!

The B4C comes from my hot rod buddies. That's my nickname in that circle!

I've already thought of the dog collar idea, but I'm headed to Salvation Army at lunch for a drop-off and will be looking at their mens and ladies belts. Also, onehorsepower turned me on to brass shim stock! I think I might know where to get some. I'll keep y'all posted!!!

Last edited:
Love it! The overall look is fantastic. I love the piece with the number on it. Something similar I think is what my board track racer build is missing.

Thanks, Shish!! They're easy to make and do add a visual to the bike! I have one on my Schwinn boardtracker as well...

294b4659d3fed02c3ab773418600c816.jpg

I lost the headlight and changed the bars since this pic. I need to take photos of the current setup!!

Thanks, Shish!! They're easy to make and do add a visual to the bike! I have one on my Schwinn boardtracker as well...

294b4659d3fed02c3ab773418600c816.jpg

I lost the headlight and changed the bars since this pic. I need to take photos of the current setup!!

Ah, please do tell your process or PM me sometime when you have the time. I would be interested in how it's made and what you used. It also looks like you've refined how it attaches from the Schwinn to the ElgIndian? Or at least the attachment on the ElgIndian doesn't seem as prominent focally.

Ah, please do tell your process or PM me sometime when you have the time. I would be interested in how it's made and what you used. It also looks like you've refined how it attaches from the Schwinn to the ElgIndian? Or at least the attachment on the ElgIndian doesn't seem as prominent focally.

It's not prominent 'cause it's not there!! :bigsmile:

I just use a piece of cardboard, hold the flat edge along the seat tube and trace the opening shape with a Sharpie. Cut that out for a pattern, then transfer it to a piece of whatever you wish to use...luan plywood, aluminum plate (my Schwinn), stainless sheet (ElgIndian), plexiglass...whatever you can find. I made the straps for the Schwinn out of stainless sheet (I have access to scraps at work). I will use either leather or brass shimstock for the straps on ElgIndian. And I'm probably going back and changing the paint/striping on my Schwinn panels.

did you make your tank as well?

No, it came with the frame, but it's just a piece of hardwood cut and sanded to shape. It would be pretty easy to make.

The Schwinn just has an aluminum panel cut to fit the opening. Both are pretty easy!!

I have this Indian badge

indianbadge_zps01b334ee.jpg

Back