Elgin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the MotoRat running again, finally! Went for a ride. Something told me to turn up this one street. No sooner had I turned when a older gent flagged me down and offered me an Elgin bike for $75. It is ridable as is. Truss rod forks with the truss rods. Rear drop down stand and it's a skip tooth with a decent chain. Should I? This would be my first pre-war bike. I have no clue if the price is good or not.

Buy it, ride it home like you stole it.

Done. I'll get pics up asap.

That’s a nice score!

The bike was made for Sears by H.P. Snyder Manufacturing Company of Little Falls New York (think Rollfast). The fork crown and the arched rear fender bridge are the give-a-ways. The spacer between the rear fender and the bridge is there because the same frame was used for both 28” single tube and 26” balloon tire applications.

It is likely that your bike dates from 1935, Most Elgins from the time were supplied by Westfield Manufacturing (think Columbia) but the 1935 catalog depicts some Snyder made Moto-Balloon bicycles. By 1936 it appears that Sears had returned to sourcing from Westfield

It looks like the bike should clean up nicely and is generally quite complete. The horn, the saddle and the pedals are newer than the bike. The original saddle would have had longer compound cylindrical springs.

Bikeriderx recently posted pictures of a girl’s Snyder from the same period and likely the same year. If you don’t mind posting the serial number it would make an interesting comparison

Phil

Thanks for the info. I was just reading that thread. The skirt protector is interesting. The sn looks to be 0101791, hand stamped. The ol' guy I got It from was guessing 1936. I feel like a 5 year old at christmas today!

I was wondering about the spacers. Everything is coming off easy so far. I'm having way too much fun!

It's Pepper. My cat. He's 7 months old and already wanting to work on bikes!

sean138 said:
It's Pepper. My cat. He's 7 months old and already wanting to work on bikes!

Sure arew a lot of "Cat Scanned" old bikes around here! :lol:

Nice old ride! Keep progress posted...

In 25 yrs of hunting old bikes, I've never ran across an Elgin boys bike. A nice girls, but no boys. :cry: You're lucky to get it. Sounds like a cool old guy that was keeping it in hopes of finding a real bike guy to take care of it. You're the guy! Treaure it. Gary

WOW! That is so awesome that you scored that, I would really like to find an original, complete Black Elgin moto for that price... great find!

Oh, and... Nice cat. :lol: I have a cat that wanders into photos all the time, it is really nice when they just want to be around. :D

Back