Elgin Project Inquiry

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 15387

Inactive Account
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I recently picked up a new project and was wondering if any of you might have some more information on it. It looks to be an Elgin with a snowflake chainring of some sort. It has the chainring of what seems to be a 1920s bike with the paint scheme of the later 1930s balloon tire Elgins. It appears to be a 28 inch roadster though Anyone have any ideas on it in terms of the builder and the year?

SH105626.jpg

SH105625.jpg

SH105624.jpg

Here's the reference image for the 1930s paint scheme I alluded to:

http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.p ... =885934681

I'm psyched to get started on the project this summer and would like to a do a "period correct" rider bike. I will end up compromising and going with modern rims, but the other parts I'd like to be more or less pre-war correct. I'm not dead set on everything being Elgin, but rather more on putting together a prewar motobike roadster I can ride and that would still have the period look/feel.

I'd put that in the early-mid 30s and everything checks out for it being Elgin. Westfield was the biggest supplier for Sears' bikes at this period. Definitely Westfield forks and the frame geometry looks right too. I haven't seen that particular chainring on them but they came with so many.

This bike was definitely a 28" but was probably from or around the crossover period where they used the same frames for balloon and singletube, just shimmed the fenders out and used a different fork. Nice bike!

Jpromo said:
I'd put that in the early-mid 30s and everything checks out for it being Elgin. Westfield was the biggest supplier for Sears' bikes at this period. Definitely Westfield forks and the frame geometry looks right too. I haven't seen that particular chainring on them but they came with so many.

This bike was definitely a 28" but was probably from or around the crossover period where they used the same frames for balloon and singletube, just shimmed the fenders out and used a different fork. Nice bike!

Very interesting indeed- thanks for the insights. It seems like there's a lot more information out there about the post-1933 ballooners than there is about the motobike roadsters from that period and earlier. If what you say is true, then I'm actually pleasantly surprised- I would feel better about putting a common New Departure Model D on it (a 30s era hub anyway). It also would end up being my third Westfield-produced bike. My main balloon tire rider is a 1950 Columbia. It would indeed be something different, yet carry the theme.

I appreciate the information, and if anyone has more to add I'd be glad to hear.

Edit:

some more good info with a bike that looks pretty similar:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28209

My '29 Wards came with a Model C and a Model SM in the front. The axle holes in the front fork are a trip. It can be difficult to get the hub in there, especially if you get one that's too wide.

Back