ELGIN MOTO X - (UPDATED 5-18 ALMOST DONE!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
A prewar Elgin with a bit of 80s BMX cruiser attitude. :mrgreen:

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

Re: PROJECT X

rat, thats clunker time. oh ya, ya gotta luv it

Outlaw :mrgreen:

I plan to use the old oven cleaner trick to get rid of the red anodizing on the Tuff Neck.

Also, a set of Skull Skate BMX cruiser bars will be ordered and possibly a Brooks saddle.

Kev...your'e a bad man....a very bad man!

Mitch at Bicycle Exchange hooked me up with the vintage Sugino crank set, forks, BB and Tange headset.

I'll only be using the 40 tooth sprocket on this build. I plan to combine that with a single speed freewheel out back.

She's gonna be lean and mean. 8)

are the forks pyramid forks?

i had similar forks by pyramid on my schwinn dx clunker, and a couple of hops off the curb and they are bent pretty bad.. :|
now i'm looking for something similar only stronger...

oct.

october said:
are the forks pyramid forks?

The brand name is SUNLITE....which is probably the same thing.

Maybe one day I can replace them with a set of landing gear forks...or maybe a set off a Schwinn Cruiser.

here we go boys...!! :mrgreen:

looks like a good start Steve...

as far as Strong goes...Tange 26 Forks are cost wise..very good..
....and as Strong as all gitty up!

I'll help all I can..
Kev.

Looks like a good project. That will be a cool frame for a Cruiser/Clunker. With the straight down tube it looks alot like the Excaliber frames first used for MTB.

Kev, Ratrod is lookin for Araya and Ukai rims now. Next thing we know it will be RatrodBMX.com :mrgreen:

Re: ELGIN MOTO X

Here are the cranks after about an hour on the bench grinder.

Lesson learned....always wear a face mask when buffing metal on a bench grinder.

I'm covered in black used up buffing stick...face, nose, mouth...yuck! :shock:

DSC_0087.jpg

When I first saw the picture I really thought you had gotten some new cranks. :shock:

Hooch said:
you do know you cant possibly put this bike together fast enuff?
I WANNA SEE!!! lol

I know...I'm the worst for putting stuff together.

Of course the headset I bought sort of fits...the top bearing cup had to be tapped into the neck of the frame and then the bottom cup is too small, falls out if you don't hold it in there. Also, when I put the bearing race on the forks it doesn't want to completely seat itself inside the bottom bearing cup. :x

I think I like cleaning them better than building them, ha ha!

Very cool.

I'm building something along the same lines at this moment. It's a budget build with a $100 max. I've already spent $55 on the frame w/ forks and hubs. The rest of the parts I had laying around. Early 80s black Schwinn 5 spd. frame, chrome Tange forks, chrome Mongoose headset, faded gold power disc, black 40t Pro Neck chainring, Sugino 175 1pc. cranks, chrome DX seatpost clamp, grey SR stem, silver ACS hubs, etc.

Here's a pic, as of Saturday. I still need to yank the stupid kickstand.

DSCN3181.jpg

I'm still on the hunt for a seatpost that will fit and some used UKAI, SUMO, or Araya 26 inch cruiser rims. Faded, worn, mismatched, or scratched is not a problem.

Hey....it was you!...ha ha.

I'm the dork that responded to your CL ad.

PM SKODA for a front wheel.

Rat Rod said:
Hey....it was you!...ha ha.

I'm the dork that responded to your CL ad.

PM SKODA for a front wheel.

Thanks! Skoda sent me an email.

Back