Elgin Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tell me more can any good LBS do this?
great work! as always...... Cool bike![/quote]

Any bike shop that has the tool! It's one of those expensive tools so probably only one local shop will have it. it's not nearly as popular as the crown race cutting tool. I had to remove all the extra material in the headtube not only for the 1 1/8" fork but also because those race tools don't have any downward cutting edges... that means that the lip below the old race seat had to be take down by had to clear the tool.

Well, the Elgin frame was going to take too long to build up and I wasn't sure it could take the abuse... This bike will be raced! Here in flagstaff there is a cruiser nation race that is supposed to be all single speed rigid klunkers. I don't think I'll win but I don't want to carry it off the mountain in pieces! I decided to use an cheep womens cruiser and do a quick sex change on it to get myself up and running. I also found a cruiser fork with cantilever mounts for the front. I also built up my wheels... Araya X7 Rims polished a little and laced into an old mtn front hub with sealed bearings and into the drum brake out back. I used green anodized spoke nipples to go with the Varsity Green I plan to paint the whole thing. Found some old school knobby gum wall tires in ok shape so those got thrown on as well.

IMGP6491.jpg

IMGP6383.jpg

IMGP6398.jpg

IMGP6492.jpg

here are some pictures of the sex change. I got to use the tube miter download that someone on this site recommended... don't remember who it was or where i got it but talk about easy to use! I should have been using this from the beginning. Hope to finish the welding on this frame tomorrow morning and maybe throw it together for a test ride! then break it all down for paint... trying to decide if I want to add cable guides or just use clamps... I'll see how it all works after rigging it all up.

IMGP7393.jpg

Cutting time!

IMGP7398.jpg

Getting my bend on! I forgot how much fun the roller is to use!

IMGP7400.jpg

pieces taped in place to get some idea of where I want them to line up.

IMGP7402.jpg

Here are the templates... based on tube diameter, thickness, and angel.

IMGP7403.jpg

First one smooth as butter!

IMGP7404.jpg

ready for the top tube... it's just too late to grind now!

Latest posts

Back