ELGIN- Finished 4-28

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have been gathering parts or my Elgin. I still need a fork but I have most everything else. I dissassembled the seat so it can be recovered.

downsized_1231081632-1-1.jpg

Re: Slow Start to ELGIN build.

I have been draggin my feet because paint will be tough with the cold weather.

Hey Clancy I think I figured out the cold weather painting technique. Turn on a space heater in your shop or garage and let it run like crazy for several hours. then turn it off ....spray whatever your going to spray , making sure you wear a respirator , and cover everything in your shop with over spray. Then wait 15 minutes for the overspray to dry on everything and then turn your heater back on so whatever you sprayed will dry. Then cook till well done. :wink:

Stretch, That works somewhat. The garage is insulated but not the garage door. It is hard to heat the whole garage. I have painted cold before and placed a radiator heater under the frame when drying. It works okay but I like to use the cold excuse to procrastinate. :wink:

Re: Slow Start to ELGIN buildoff.

Okay Paul, Here is my answer for your bars and seat. Some cool light grey w/black pinstripe skiptooth wheels.
downsized_1214081325b.jpg

I guess I should post a pic of the frame.
1214081325a.jpg

Come on boy , I got my frame painted and Ill be starting on putting it together in a day or so....Mine is skiptooth too. Your going to have to get a hustle on. Boardtrackfan is almost done with his. :cry: :cry:

I LOVE THAT FREAKIN FRAME!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
i cant wait to see what this looks like when its done!!

Easy E

I am feeling severely handicapped.
1. I am not retired.
2. It is cold up here.
3. I am in bike Siberia and don't have all the parts laying around.

That said, I should have my fork by Monday and should be able to start mocking up. The holidays have been putting a crimp in my schedule. I have to order tires and figure out my chain(Easywind to the rescue).

Ok Clancy I'll quit razzing you . Yes I am retired and Yes I did have several part around to choose from , but the person that goes first usually looses. I had to do the best I could . So far I'm happy with the way its turning out. I saw that 1900's Pierce and I knew the direction of my build. It was the best looking motor bike that I have ever seen. Its black with gold and chrome. I know yours will turn out really good too. Ok Clancy you were the one that sent me the picture so its your inspiration.

1910-pierce-1.jpg

I picked up the fork last week but I needed about another inch of threads as it was ladies fork. I got the tires in yesterday. While I was at the LBS, I spotted the crossbar handlebars. For paint, I think it will be black on the rear with light grey to match the wheels in the front. I will try my hand at some fancy masking between the 2 colors.

downsized_0115091716.jpg

sensor said:
looks like youre off and running!
cant wait to see more :mrgreen:

Maybe in April when the weather gets warm enough. :( :(

I plan on getting it mocked up the rest of the way, figuring out my skiptooth chain. Then maybe try to heat the garage up for some painting.

Looking good Clancy.....lets get a move on ....Im two up on you. I'm about to stop so you can catch up. After looking at some of my old frame building I'm getting itchy to start welding and bending. I'm goin to try a stretched Elgin like mine first. I hope I hope. It may wind up in the recycle bin . :shock:

How about a Elgin like mine? with a curved seat tube. Look forward to some custom.

This has a wide bottom bracket so I had to dig through for some cranks that fit. Then I got out my skiptooth chain that has been sitting in transmission fluid for 2 years. I put it in all rusty and it came out smooth and flexible. The best part is I still had the masterlink and it fit just perfect.

Re: ELGIN -Hot Rod style.

I ran mine across my bench grinder with the wire brush on all sides ,and it came out looking like new. Ask Steve , I did the one on his westfield and man it looked good.
As I sat there last night I remembered why I stopped building frames the last time. You can just have so many stretched frames around. Nobody really wants to buy one. Still up in the air about it.

Re: ELGIN -Hot Rod style.

Finally going to take a day of skiing and try to get some painting done. Should have a high of 55. I tested it last night and it looks good in the sunlight. You can't see it but there is some metal fleck in the paint. I plan on this blue color for the body with a metalic gray for nose and fork.

0314091024.jpg

Re: ELGIN -Starting to PAint!!!!!!!

I would say its about time but...If I could ski as good as you I would stay on the slopes too. You can build a bike anytime ,especially when the snow melts. :lol:

Latest posts

Back