ELGIN DECOLUXE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The chain guard is at one with the skirt guard now.
Decoluxe Chain Guard 2.jpg

OJ, the color match was luck but it won't stay.

Great head turner you got there !!! Like that fork man I kinda had that same idea also . Great way to make a springer work with the tank . Very tight every thing is fitting well[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, color....it will be interesting to see where you go with that ...

Looking good! I love the deep fenders and how the lines flow.

Looking great so far RM. There is one thing that is bothering me about the tank/frame lines.:39: Knowing how picky you are about the lines on your bikes, I am wondering what you think about the tanks' lower tube connection to the frames' "top tube". Doesn't seem to flow like the rest of the connections?

Last edited:
Looking great so far RM. There is one thing that is bothering me about the tank/frame lines.:39: Knowing how picky you are about the lines on your bikes, I am wondering what you think about the tanks' lower tube connection to the frames' "top tube". Does it flow like the rest of the connections?
I think I'm seeing the same thing you are, looks like the short tail of the tank isn't flush.

Thanks everyone for the comps!
@SILVERKINGPC There are some limitations to how the tank works with each frame that it's used on and that was an area that could've gone a few different ways. Because the top tube is a larger diameter it would cut into the tank on top had I centered it. I considered that but ultimately decided to leave the top side uncut. The Schwinn that I built last winter had the same situation and after it was finished I was pretty happy with how it looked. It will blend more after it's painted and also a lot depends on the camera angle.

Here's the Schwinn Wasp Convertible:
16054_44ef7af3d16ed0702acc3c6578049808.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the comps!
@SILVERKINGPC There are some limitations to how the tank works with each frame that it's used on and that was an area that could've gone a few different ways. Because the top tube is a larger diameter it would cut into the tank on top had I centered it. I considered that but ultimately decided to leave the top side uncut. The Schwinn that I built last winter had the same situation and after it was finished I was pretty happy with how it looked. It will blend more after it's painted and also a lot depends on the camera angle.

Here's the Schwinn Wasp Convertible:
View attachment 25901
Can't argue with that....back in the '70s we called that "mint"....:thumbsup:

Could you hand-add some fiberglass to reshape the joint around the tube so that it flows into more of a curve that matches the top/down tube? I'm having to do that on mine, but because I chipped off a chunk being clumsy and impatient during initial fitting.

Could you hand-add some fiberglass to reshape the joint around the tube so that it flows into more of a curve that matches the top/down tube?
Actually I will probably remove some of the glass to improve the flow.
All I know is, this is really getting that Art Deco/Lead Sled look. Will there be additional fender braces on both wheels? Nevermind, I'd rather sit back and what it evolve.

Cheers buddy!
Thanks, that's what I'm shooting for! And yes there will be fender braces added later, but I still need to button up the chain guard brace first though.

Here's some closer looks at the chain guard/skirt guard. The small pie shaped hole will get fixed. I had to cut it away to transition from the curved top to the straight 90 degree bend that I made. I broke the 90 on a box break at a local sheet metal shop. I'm very lucky to have friends that allow me to come into their shops and allow me to use their equipment. In todays litigious society, I'm actually amazed sometimes that they trust me to walk in unsupervised and use large machines like hydraulic sheet metal shears and other equipment without being employed there.

Decoluxe Chain Guard 3.jpg

I'm very lucky to have friends that allow me to come into their shops and allow me to use their equipment. In todays litigious society, I'm actually amazed sometimes that they trust me to walk in unsupervised and use large machines like hydraulic sheet metal shears and other equipment without being employed there.
View attachment 25977
that awesome ! i have been refused to use some machines at places i worked , even with the knowledge to use them , ''its not your job , so don't touch it '' grrr very good work on the guards:113:

The lines on the that guard are perfect for those skirts.
Great work tying it all together.

The lines on the that guard are perfect for those skirts.
Great work tying it all together.
Thanks! I was tempted with the saw blade guard, but the lines was a big reason I stuck with the WF guard.
This has the vibe of a 49-51 merc total "lead sled" kind of feel. A true classic.
That's the second lead sled reference, I must be on the right track!:)

Been working on another rear fender possibility. More pictures tomorrow.
rear fender.jpg

So, when I said another rear fender I meant in addition to not in place of the Monark fender. :)

This is something that I had planned from the start to hide the mounting tab and bolts for the skirt guards. I cut the smaller fender into sections to give the appearance that it passes through the frame. To mount them I found some 8/32 T-nuts and had them welded under the bottom so that no fasteners can be seen.

Decoluxe fenderettes 1.jpg

Decoluxe fenderettes t nuts.jpg

Loving the tucked-in look of the fender and guard!

Latest posts

Back