Electra Straight 8 fork swap

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a new Straight 8 and want to swap out the stock fork for a chrome triple tee.
Here's the stock look:
Electra_Straight_8.jpg

And this is what i'm after:
straight%208.jpg

Anyone know the headtube size? It looks like a 1 1/8". Also the headtube on this frame is extremely long, so the fork has to have a relatively long steer tube.
I'd really appreciate anyone's help who's done this mod and knows the ins & outs of which fork works and where to purchase.

Thank you

Might check E-bay, a lot of people parting out chopper bikes, I know the O.C.C. and W.C.C. bikes have long head-tube and triple trees. One of those might work?

That triple tree in the 2nd pic is a standard Electra fork, same as on an Electra Hellbilly.
Chopperdome sells them over here:
http://chopperdome.nl/shop/5/1/0/0/86/0 ... 1_1_8_inch
but I'm sure you could get one through Electra dealers in the States, but I'm guessing you'ld like to find one cheaper first. Just be aware the headsize changed from 1 1/8" to 1" after 2005 models if I'm correct.
I got the Ghostrider length fork for my girlfriend's Hellbilly, made it look less like a child's bike next to mine :wink:

Before:
3004747453_84282f5fbd_b.jpg

After:
3004747793_d66abd02e0_b.jpg

A shame we don't live closer, would have happily sold you my spare fork for a RRB price...

All of the forks on the the attitude frames from Electra are 1-1/8. Problem is that they have discontinued production of the chopper forks with the exception of the chopper fork that goes on the rat fink and ghost.

Your best bet is going to be to call around and let me tell you it may be quite hard to locate an original Electra fork for that frame.

i just tried taking apart the headset on my newer str8 and couldnt. on a normal threadless headset the fork should have dropped right off but did not. even with some good yanking, nothing. anyone have any experience removing the forks on newer electra threadless headsets?

brumos said:
I just picked up a new Straight 8 and want to swap out the stock fork for a chrome triple tee.
Here's the stock look:
Electra_Straight_8.jpg

And this is what i'm after:
straight%208.jpg

Anyone know the headtube size? It looks like a 1 1/8". Also the headtube on this frame is extremely long, so the fork has to have a relatively long steer tube.
I'd really appreciate anyone's help who's done this mod and knows the ins & outs of which fork works and where to purchase.

Thank you

If the headset they used has a compression collar, it may take some banging around with a rubber mallet to loosen it up.

I have an NIB 1" steerer tube version of that fork from Electra. Have a Ritchey headset already pressed in some Problem Solver 1 1/8-> 1"headset reducers from another project that might work, probably require swapping races though. There is a shim on the top triple clamp on the 1" steerer tube which makes me think you could get a 1 1/8 steer tube to go in this also from bicycle designer.com. No plans for this thing and got it cheap about 5 years ago, and need to get rid of some stuff, if you're interested PM me.

IMG_1586.jpg

I've got a Straight 8 with the chopper fork and would like to trade for the newer black fork if they are compatible.

Not to sound selfish, but you can buy my like new straight 8 with chrome front end install, $500.00. There is not 5 miles on the bike and if anyone is interested, I can send info and pictures.

Back