Electra Nexus 7i wheels sets

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got the wheels from the clearance sale.

Has anyone actually received, installed and rode the nexus 7?

I got mine Monday, I squeezed it into a 50's girls Schwinn frame for my wife.

I need to get a proper chain but I got a used chain on there and it's kind of noisy. I happen to have a standard boys chain and it ends up at the very edge of the rear dropouts.
When the rear dropouts are stretched our like that, are you supposed to bend them so the stay open more or is OK if there are pressing against the hub? I'm thinking there might be too much pressure against the hub? The shifting is fine.

I did a Nexus 3 conversion a while back and nothing like this happened, this noise I'm hearing is more like a dry hub or something.
Also I had to open up the front for to accept the front wheel which was easy enough.

It was a bear to spring them open. just want to make sure nothing is binding funny. Going to pick up chain tonight.

The pressure should not cause any problems. You might coldset the frame if it is a hassle to install your wheel.

The only time I had a trouble getting a rear wheel into a frame I tried & tried to spread it with my thumbs and work the wheel in with my other fingers at the same time - couldn't do it. I ended up tying one side of the frame stays close to a tree and while pushing with my leg on the tree and pulling the opposing stays with one hand at the same time I dropped the wheel in with the free hand - that worked. Pain in the butt but mission accomplished. Have Fun! Robert

I didn't have any major issues when I had to spread the drops on Flexy last year. No unusual noise either.

Well guys, I'll see what the wheel sounds like with a new chain. I got laze and skipped the LBS but got a chain i the mail from another order I can use. Though it is raining pretty bad today in LA.

these internal geared hubs are pretty noisy if your not familiar with them you might think something was wrong (more internal parts = more stuff to make noise). they usually just make a pretty strong and rapid freewheel sound when coasting or rolling them around.

Get a piece of all-thread about 8 in. to a foot long, the same diameter as the axel or the drop out slot, some washers, and 2 nuts.

use the nuts to spread the dropouts apart. spread them a little bit more than you need, as they tend to spring back some.

your wheel will drop right in. (read this in the "how to" section - works fine).

I spread it like the suggestion above, that worked out perfect.
The funny noise i was hearing was extra wire from the shifter cable at the hub, it was hitting the chain, so i was getting that noise. Its all good now, i should have bought two sets of wheels!

Thanks for the replies

Here is the bike I was working on, basic commuter for my wife. nexus 7, fold away baskets and a sprung rear stand.
I'd like to route the shift cable through the frame, maybe next weekend.
We went for a ride today and she loved it.
8423051968_0ff15bac1d_b.jpg

Back