Electra Bikes Parts Clearance Sale

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tychevelle said:
Houndog said:
Does anyone know how different the 7 speed gearing is from 3 speed..Is 1st gear way lower than the 3speeds?

Not much a a difference I swapped my ratfinks 3spd to a nexus 7 and its more or less just more selection of gears def have more top end now though over the 3spd. I think electras 7 and 8 spd wheels are non coaster brake wheels? There townie wheels?

The 7-speed is a coaster brake, the 8 is a freewheel or can mount the Nexus roller brake.

I read somewhere that the 7 speed has lower and higher gears than the 3 speed.

Houndog said:
Does anyone know how different the 7 speed gearing is from 3 speed..Is 1st gear way lower than the 3speeds?

Not a huge difference but it is a little bit lower and higher

Play around with Sheldon Browns gear calculator and you can see the difference, it has the gear reductions/ratios for a lot of internal geared hubs.

NicksGarage said:
Tychevelle said:
Houndog said:

Not much a a difference I swapped my ratfinks 3spd to a nexus 7 and its more or less just more selection of gears def have more top end now though over the 3spd. I think electras 7 and 8 spd wheels are non coaster brake wheels? There townie wheels?

The 7-speed is a coaster brake, the 8 is a freewheel or can mount the Nexus roller brake.

I read somewhere that the 7 speed has lower and higher gears than the 3 speed.

Here's the information on ratios that I read before. http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus7.shtml

Peatbog said:
All I got was a rock.

igotarock.jpg

LOL!

I got a ship confirmation email around 6:30. That's a pretty efficient vendor, I wish all online shops where that quick...

I don't see any nexus 8s anywhere .
Do the nexus 3s come with shifters too?

I think stuff is disappearing, Kingfish. The couple of 3-speed wheels I've bought in the past came with shifters; it was essentially a complete upgrade kit. That's what I put on my Schwinn Classic Al3 a couple years ago, except I tied the hub to an old 333 stick shift.

kingfish254 said:
I don't see any nexus 8s anywhere .
Do the nexus 3s come with shifters too?

Can't speak for all of them but the Straight 8 I got included the shifter / trim kit with the wheel. I would expect they all do.

The 7i cruiser wheel comes with the shifter which includes the cable and everything. You may need the have the cable lengthened if you put it on something like a Rat Fink or a Tandem.

The 7i is the SG-7C18 just like this one ($187.49) http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Nexus-SG- ... B002NQSQKA

Theses are the standard cruiser and townie wheels, so the cruiser wheels are about OD 33mm and the Townies are about OD 23mm

Remember that this plan has about 5 parts. Each of us will have our favorite part, but to each is own. Don't hate if your announcement isn't first, It will get better.

wow, thanks for posting this.

2 wheel sets on the way + a few other items for less than the price of my last single Nexus 3 speed wheel set.

wish the rims were the same color, but I can deal with it for the prices.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I found the Townie 8i Nexus 8 wheel for only 125 but it doesn't say what color the rim is.

I placed a big order.
Silver Nexus 7 wheelset = $146

Then I ordered 2 Nexus 3 Blue Rears, 2 Single Green Rears, and 4 Cream Fronts. Once I pair up like colors and relace fronts to back and backs to fronts, I will end up with 4 wheelsets for less than $50 a set. Probably a Green 3 speed and Blue 3 speed set, then two Cream single speed sets.

I may still get the 8 speed if I can find out more details from Electra.

good idea KF. I may just have to do the old rim switch-a-roo you describe. thanx! :D

I was going to do the rim switch-a-roo also.... But wanted to keep it under $50 total

Got a green single rear and a cream front coming. :D

Now I will be waiting to see if the pink 3 speed rear drops in price in a few weeks.....

A guy can always dream :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting THIS!

kingfish254 said:
I found the Townie 8i Nexus 8 wheel for only 125 but it doesn't say what color the rim is.

I placed a big order.
Silver Nexus 7 wheelset = $146

Then I ordered 2 Nexus 3 Blue Rears, 2 Single Green Rears, and 4 Cream Fronts. Once I pair up like colors and relace fronts to back and backs to fronts, I will end up with 4 wheelsets for less than $50 a set. Probably a Green 3 speed and Blue 3 speed set, then two Cream single speed sets.

I may still get the 8 speed if I can find out more details from Electra.

I did the same thing. Spent way too much but I will have 4 wheel sets when I re-lace them all. I'm always short on 26" cruiser rims so this will solve that problem

Ok in a moment of weakness, I checked and they still had some of the $100 7 speed nexus rims.
So I ordered another and a sweetheart chainring. AARRGG!!!!

Thanks to Chimi's text yesterday I woke up at 3:30 this morning & placed an order for 4 complete multi-speed wheelsets. Even at the great prices, I still had to whip out the credit card.Gonna have to shift a couple rims around & repaint some, but I just couldn't stop adding to my order. Figure I can swap a set in one of my prewar bikes if I want to go for a long ride.

That' s one heck of a deal on quality wheels. :shock:

As of 11:30am Central time, this is the bargain wheels that are left:

22- CRUISER 1-SPEED REAR WHEEL (Green Rim/Silver Spokes) 26"

10- CRUISER 1-SPEED REAR WHEEL (Gold Rim/Silver Spokes) 26"

23- CRUISER 7-SPEED NEXUS REAR WHEEL (Silver Rim/Silver Spokes) 26"

32- CRUISER 3-SPEED REAR WHEEL (Pink Rim/Silver Spokes) 26"

2- CRUISER 1-SPEED REAR WHEEL (Pink Rim/Silver Spokes) 26"

Tater said:
That' s one heck of a deal on quality wheels. :shock:

As of 11:30am Central time, this is the bargain wheels that are left:

22- CRUISER 1-SPEED REAR WHEEL (Green Rim/Silver Spokes) 26"

10- CRUISER 1-SPEED REAR WHEEL (Gold Rim/Silver Spokes) 26"

23- CRUISER 7-SPEED NEXUS REAR WHEEL (Silver Rim/Silver Spokes) 26"

32- CRUISER 3-SPEED REAR WHEEL (Pink Rim/Silver Spokes) 26"

2- CRUISER 1-SPEED REAR WHEEL (Pink Rim/Silver Spokes) 26"

Yeah, they seem to be selling out fast. Last night I tried to order two of the gold 3-speed wheels but there was only one available. Someone on the Electra forum already received the 7-speed wheel they ordered, shifter included.

I guess they never sold any of the 7 speed cruiser wheels while they were at regular price.

They seem to still have plenty of them. :D

The site started having problems. I could not log in and it kept kicking my cart to zero items. It didn't accept my credit card, but it took my PayPal with a weird site error afterwards, but received a payment confirmation from paypal only.

I'll update and see if they got my order.

Back