Edwardian British Womans Bicycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know the year of the original bike or the parts, other than it's about 100 years old according to my Dad and it's an Edwardian Humber sit-up-and-beg style bike.

So annoyed that it's a woman's step-thru bike, but beggars can't be choosers :p

The bike used to belong to a woman called Octavia, (she was the 8th child in the family, so thats where the name's from) and she rode the bike everywhere since it was brand new. She used to be a regular customer at my Dad's father's butcher shop, and she then left the bike to him when she was about 80 during the 1960's, he took the bike off her to give to my dad once he was old enough to ride it.
Dad then bought the tires and mudguards and rode it a bit I think but it just sat in the shed in a state until I cleaned it up.

It used to have the original saddle too, which was in great condition, but Dad sold that a few years ago on eBay for about £70 ($100?)

Anyway, here are some photos of the bike..
tumblr_l6f6t45Zh01qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

It doesn't look that big on here, but if you think that those wheels are 28" it is still a big bike!

tumblr_l6f717CiZI1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

tumblr_l6f7cxwhjz1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

^ The rod brakes are all original and just about stop you when you need to, probably won't save your life in an emergency though!
It looks like there are 4 bits attaching them to the handles, but the inner two aren't actually joined on and pull away from the main handlebars when you pull on the brakes.

tumblr_l6f7rzyhke1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

This little lever locks the front forks so that you can leave the bike and the wheel wont turn to the left or right etc. Also handy to tighten and then push it along with one hand on the seat, if your planning on travelling in a straight line that is..

tumblr_l6f872xDTd1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

tumblr_l6f8tlLs411qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

OK then maybe they're not Raleigh mudguards, though I think Dad might have put these stickers on himself, so they might be..
If you notice it says "By appointment by his majesty the King" as the bike's Edwardian from the time of King Edward.

tumblr_l6f9bzrWau1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

tumblr_l6f9hpwOAM1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

tumblr_l6fbrojXoT1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

tumblr_l6f9ngMxzs1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

mmm.. old Czech tires :p

tumblr_l6fa6vQEuO1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

Could do with a better looking seat though.. this was just a cheapish one I bought from a stall in the market in town..

tumblr_l6fa9yPss21qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

tumblr_l6fanqY58t1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

You can see on the mudguard where it's meant to join onto a different style of frame.

tumblr_l6fb6b3FCY1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

Lift this little flap up to easily put some oil in there for great turning pedals 8)
Why don't they have things like that in modern bikes today?? :|

tumblr_l6fbciBiNy1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

Oh yeah, the handle grips are form a 1950's lawnmower!

tumblr_l6fbj0lfBO1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

tumblr_l6fbnkcOEy1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

tumblr_l6fbxcCV2U1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

tumblr_l6fc1qyRiW1qbmu1ro1_500.jpg

The pedals aren't straight so that can be quite uncomfortable on your feet sometimes..

So yeah.. that's the Victorian/Edwardian bike! :D

Hopefully one day I'll have something much cooler :p

It may not look like it can in the photos, but this bike can go extremely fast using little effort in pedalling

sweet little treasure you got here. in this part of the world that kind of bike is very appreciated and goes very dearly. take care of it for your kids.

that's a sweet bike. I really like the steer tube lock. I might put one of those on my tour bike. With front panniers, a tour bike is near impossible to lean up against something and have it stay there.

That's beautiful, I really like that style of ladies bikes and all those little details! :D Oh, and Trelleborg are actually swedish tires. 8)

Very sweet bike, love those lever brakes 8) I often wondered why new bikes don't have oil or grease-nipples anymore, seems so logical ? My Locomotief has grease-nipples on both hubs, why the heck did they stop doing that ?

Wow, that is one great little jewel! Amazing condition, considering its age.
I hope you're planning on holding on to it?!

Ace said:
Very sweet bike, love those lever brakes 8) I often wondered why new bikes don't have oil or grease-nipples anymore, seems so logical ? My Locomotief has grease-nipples on both hubs, why the heck did they stop doing that ?

Top dollar bikes have sealed or ceramic bearings, and they're maximizing profit on lesser models. :(

Back