easiest way to build a fixie...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a build going on now for the wife i have been taking pic's and what not just no time to post of start the build thread i promise i will... but I had this 24 or 26 inch kent mt bike literally fall in my lap last night..and it hurt but my cuzzing was going to trash it cause of the cheapo rims, the back one all the guts bust out of it and is not good with that said i took it for parts bearings cable and what ever else i can stash away for a rainy day..but i had this frame sitting there with a back and front brake..my son seen it and said wow that would be a nice fixie frame and went back in the house i looked at my dog and i thought about it..so there we have it its gonna be a fixed single speed road bike.. my question is this one.

can i use the triple chain ring and crank or would i have to swap out the chain ring or take rings off?? I knw i need to find a set of single speed road bikes rims for the build but...
i have searched and sorry if i missed it but did not find anything on the subject. i want to get his bike and my wifes out the way before i focus on mine.. so what would be the easiest and cost effective way to get this done my son friend has a fixie but i don't have any where the near 600 bucks his cost so i want to build my sons with his flair to it and make his own not a cookie cuter bike at all... sorry for the boring post i just had a story to tell.. :D any info would help
Thanks
Jaysmo

single speeds ... are single ring up front with a coaster or a freewheel sprocket in the rear.
fixed gear ..... single ring up front with a fixed cog on the rear.. no coaster no free wheel.
the idea behind the fixie or ss is LIGHT as possible. eliminate anything that is totally not necessary
get some basic bars, light wheels and tires, minimal seat, and a smooth frame.

if you are using a mtb frame you will most likely have vertical dropouts .... you will either have to get
yourself a chain tensioner or try to get a set of cogs that will allow you to run without a tensioner.

On the brutal cheap and easy...

Unscrew a rear cog,screw on a BMX type gear.

Jam it on there with LocTite and a lotta luck.

(Im doing it myself with a Varsity)

The thought of doing a fixie came across my head this morning when I found a skinny rear wheel at work. I have a frame. I just don't know where to begin. Im sure going to follow this thread! Good luck building!!! :D

MagicRat said:

If you go fixie by just throwing a cog on a normal freewheel hub atleast use a bottom bracket lockring on the outside of the cog or else as soon as you resisit the cranks your cog will unthread. :wink:

while i was working on my roll fast the other night i turned my head as i took a sip of my cold adult bev and i looked at the frame as i hangs in the garage and i thought to my self..self what if we get a skinny wheel older fixed wheel bike and chop the bars from the mt bike a bit on each side and re paint it wont it will be easier and a lot less head ache so...this is on the drawing board again just for a bite until i figure some thing plus my sons off to see his grand dad for a month so i have more time.. 8)

bicycleguy said:
MagicRat said:

If you go fixie by just throwing a cog on a normal freewheel hub atleast use a bottom bracket lockring on the outside of the cog or else as soon as you resisit the cranks your cog will unthread. :wink:

You need a British/English bottom bracket lock ring to jam it into the BMX rear cog...

The sad thing is,they BOTH are right hand thread.

Dont plan on doing any skip stops with this suicide solution ^

Back