Early Mother's day... '54 Schwinn hornet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put up the last post as cover for this... I know it didn't turn out rattish but I have been promising the wife a purple bike and I finally got it done after almost 9 months of collecting stuff:

54-0.jpg

found this in an alley off of central. can't believe that someone was throwing this out. chick frame or not. so as i the last post about me not taking the between photos we skip to today (yesterday for us in eastern time):

54-1.jpg

54-2.jpg

54-3.jpg

54-4.jpg

54-5.jpg

54-6.jpg

54-7.jpg

54-8.jpg

54-9.jpg

54-10.jpg

54-11.jpg

the frame looks blue in the photos but I assure you that in real life this is the most stunning purple you have ever seen. the powder coaters called it illusion blue and it is indeed. squeezed in a nexus three speed in the rear and the rest is a bulk order from nirve for parts. it's more of a resto custom. I liken it to when I used to put together VW's and shove a 2L motor in a '60's bug and go nuts. looks old but runs like new. hense the BMX parts. the wife is letting me get rid of her old bike now so that means... more parts for the project pile!!!

seizure L8r.

Momma gotta luv it!

Cranks are 175MM redlines with sealed bearings (purchased off of ebay) santa ana GT spider and a 43T tuff neck chainring. both made in USA. I'm scoping out a two-tone GT chainring to match but that's in the future. 1/2 X 1/8 purple chain is KMC and also off of ebay. I did have an authorized phantom chainguard that I was going to put on but the cranks wouldn't let me so I used a "hockey stick" from another bike. I wanted very much to use the chainguard that was on the bike but it was a bit too banged up and I couldn't locate another in time. pedals are 9/16" VP and the cages were PC'd the same color as the bike. coaters want $75 minimum per color so I'm going to have to wait if I want to add anything else other than black.

Back