early 70's Schwinn American...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this today from a guy, supposed to be an early 70's Schwinn American...I think it might be older. All original and still has the Goodyear Eagle tires, somewhat cracked...fenders a bit rough though, and an amazing green and white paint scheme with green grips.....

IMG_1280.jpg
IMG_1278.jpg
IMG_1277.jpg
IMG_1275.jpg
IMG_1279.jpg

If it's 70's the serial will be on the steer tube, looks more '50's to me. Look on the left rear dropout (where the wheel bolts to) then post the serial and I can pinpoint the year.

Here is the serial number, left rear dropout like you said, now you are getting me excited!
IMG_1281.jpg

Awesome! It has the original Bendix redband hub, brake not functional, both rims are free of rust, just a small bend in the rear rim, and have never seen Schwinn grips that color, I think we both were happy with the price too.

I had been watching it on CL, here in Pueblo there is a lot of vintage and custom hot-rods, so bikes are very desirable as well, so i waited until he settled for a benjamin....we both were happy, the market here might be higher than elsewhere.

Rich40 said:
I had been watching it on CL, here in Pueblo there is a lot of vintage and custom hot-rods, so bikes are very desirable as well, so i waited until he settled for a benjamin....we both were happy, the market here might be higher than elsewhere.

A Benjamin??? Like $20? He sold that for twenty bucks?

Looks all original except for the grips. That bike probably would have come with white chubby grips. Gary

Rich40 said:
I had been watching it on CL, here in Pueblo there is a lot of vintage and custom hot-rods, so bikes are very desirable as well, so i waited until he settled for a benjamin....we both were happy, the market here might be higher than elsewhere.[/quote

Not here in so-cal!
Youd pay 3 times that here.

Back