Duplicolor metal specks green?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is a cool color all these are. however a few things first the finish is a bit semi flat not gloss you will need to shoot clear over it if you want shinny. second the flake is not really big but it looks good. third before spraying get used to how it sprays the stuff comes out really fast in a straight up and down fan pattern i have not delt with other spray paints that do this and it will run rather easily so move quick. fourth when the can starts to run out grab another it starts to spurt and will leave globs if you are not careful. ohhhh and finally where ever you spray make sure you cover anything that you dont want to get metalic over spray onto this stuff goes all over the place. dont believe me? after you are done shooting a coat if you are say in your garage step back and look at the air you will see shinny particals floating all over the place. but it is very good paint, i find it very durable as well.

u gotta go real light every pass and let it tack up or itll run. the specks line seems to be real thin compared to the other formulas.
do a base coat under it to get a more even and better color result. i always put the clear effex over it as well to get a really shiny result

well my kid used the green on his derby car(bad pics indoors) but its a good color just really small flake(although $10 for a can was better than $35 to mix/shoot a 2 stage at work with big flake :wink: )
pinewoodcar002-1.jpg

Thanks guys for all of the great tips! Thank you also sensor for posting a pic of the actual color, it looks like a nice shade of green. I painted my swing bike with a duplicolor metallic blue that wasn't metal speck. Last night I compared that with the metal specks red that Uncle Stretch painted and to me the size and amount of flake are really similar. Like Karfer said it had sort of a matte finish and needed a gloss clear coat on it.

after reading this and seeing red on Krams new bike, I may be doing this on the next project that is planned. Burnt copper

Today I was just messing around with some cans of paint that I already had. I took a scrap piece of fender and sprayed it with some metallic light blue I had left over from my swingbike. Then I had some red metalcast that I used make a headlight lens red.

In the shade it is a really dark purple, almost a black
DSC05547.jpg

In the sun it is a crazy deep red.
DSC05546.jpg

Just to see what the actual color of the metalcast is this is what it looked like over just white primer
DSC05549.jpg

They have the metal cast in green and I'm thinking that if you sprayed it over a gold or silver base it would look pretty awesome.

the metalcast i think is for an ano aluminum look. try that red on an aluminum peice without primer. my friend did an alloy set of rims and i thought they were anodized

it is a cool color all these are. however a few things first the finish is a bit semi flat not gloss you will need to shoot clear over it if you want shinny. second the flake is not really big but it looks good. third before spraying get used to how it sprays the stuff comes out really fast in a straight up and down fan pattern i have not delt with other spray paints that do this and it will run rather easily so move quick. fourth when the can starts to run out grab another it starts to spurt and will leave globs if you are not careful. ohhhh and finally where ever you spray make sure you cover anything that you dont want to get metalic over spray onto this stuff goes all over the place. dont believe me? after you are done shooting a coat if you are say in your garage step back and look at the air you will see shinny particals floating all over the place. but it is very good paint, i find it very durable as well.

Good pointers on the Duplicolor Metal Specks paint

anyone have anymore pics of metal specks colors?im thinking of trying green or red.

Look in the builds section. My thread, "A new vintage bike for the lil' lady" is done in the retro red metal specks Duplicolor paint. It really does have a vintage look to it, not a high gloss, but very classy.

i did a 55 schwinn american in meral cast blue,sprayed duplicolor chrome for my base [as metal cast is very close to candy paint]i always clear my chrome paint with clear to seal it b4 i do color,the blue on this bike is awesome,especially in the sun,as the one guy showed you can experiment with diff colors over one another,skys the limit on custom color,one note on spraying mettalic paint without stabilizer like we used to do b4 base clear,when you spray your last coat of color,hold the can back and dust the paint on it will give you a great metalic look,always finish with clear,there are a nimber of realy great clears out there right now

I used the Metalcast on Flexy over parts of chrome Spaceliner frame, then over the Metalcast base silver on the painted sections of the rear suspension struts.

I am planning on using Metal Specks (Duplicolors metal flake paint) on my MBBO bike Afterburner X53/254.

maby made by the same co with diff names and diff prices,i like goin 2 blocks to orilys and get my paint,but if it wasnt for ths id go with the other stuff

Just to see what the actual color of the metalcast is this is what it looked like over just white primer
DSC05549.jpg

They have the metal cast in green and I'm thinking that if you sprayed it over a gold or silver base it would look pretty awesome.

If the red was sprayed over black do you think it'd look like black cherry?

Wow this is an old one back to the top.

MtnBikinPilot- When I was doing tests with this paint I sprayed it on a lot of stuff that I didn't take pictures of. I did try it over black and it just doesn't work that well. If the light hits it at the right angle you can see some of the red but not really worth it. You need something to bounce light back through it. If you sprayed it over a metallic black or maybe even a dark metallic grey it might work better.

Looking to try to match up this chain guard with the patina on my 56 Hawthorne.
Its kind of a flat green metallic.
mwhawthornpaintchainguard_zps312d6bee.jpg

Will metal specks green will work?
What do you think would be best for base paint - silver metallic? is metal specks compatible with duplicolor auto touch up paint?

Latest posts

Back