Dump madness

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a look around the dump recycling shop again, couldn't resist this Schwinn, it has a buckled rear but for the most its only got a flat tyre and broken btrake lever,
The BMX is another $15 mega find, its quite heavy and those twin footrests on the rear tells me it was a stunt bike, the front axle looks to be 14mm, very thick...this only had both tyres flat, the rest is great, in fact the Young blokes pumped the tyre's up already, they hold air.... It's now his 😎
PXL_20221104_014533633.jpg
PXL_20221104_014619110.jpg

No kidding...that's a Schwinn cantilever frame in aluminum. Score!
They did want $30, ive never owned one of these, the wife has claimed it as hers, even in blue she loves it.
Research indicates these were from 2009,the BMX is a KMart cheapie but at the higher end of thOse K-Mart bikes, the southern star Rythym were made in 2015.
So for $45 I think I done good.

Spent the day cleaning up the schwinny, new/donor brake lever n new cable n outer has this thing stopping on front brake alone, has a good V brake.
Patched not 1 but 2 holes in that rear and took out the 2 big buckles in the rear to have 4 smaller ones LOL , it's much better but this wheels going into the shop for a new hoop, unless I find a brand newie in Australia cheap then it'll be into the shop we go, haven't taken on making my own wheels and sorta would rather buy someone's hard earnt experience.
Once I got to ride it I found the gears didnt work, so I pulled everything apart and yes, I'd never seen the workings of Schwinn, therefore I was daunted at taking this apart,
Anyway I did and the shifters fine n free, the rear moves as it should but the cable itself is being replaced, too many bends for 13yrs old so im sure it's the problem with the gears, that and The fact that once I removed all the gear I still couldn't pull the cable in n out with my hands, it's gone, got plenty spare of everything so all good.
Starting to really like the look of this bike 😎
PXL_20221105_034316457.jpg
PXL_20221105_034418318.jpg
PXL_20221105_034902082.jpg

So after a good scrub we managed to get schwinny to much better and respectable state, Still gotta do the gear cable , I'm gobsmacked at bringing this home it's actually a fantastic looking machine, even the Rythym got a scrub up and removal of all reflectors, 12yr olds do not require these as it equates to... Very un-cool 😎
I'm really surprised to find that BMX at the recycling shop, it only needed air in the tyres and slight brake adjustment, its practically new.
PXL_20221105_054618399.jpg
PXL_20221105_055044669.jpg

Back