Dual Springer Monark Type - how to adjust?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just picked up what looks like the Sunlite version of the fork, and the bottom brackets were screwed down without any movement. It seems to me that the bottom bracket should move - because what's the point? - with the bracket screwed down, there's no springing going on.

I'm just wondering if what I presume is correct - that the Allen screws should be backed out a bit, then the nuts on the inside tightened to allow the bracket to move (see photo for the inside nuts).

Is that right?

Thanks!

41Dajfop29L.jpg

Hi,

I just picked up what looks like the Sunlite version of the fork, and the bottom brackets were screwed down without any movement. It seems to me that the bottom bracket should move - because what's the point? - with the bracket screwed down, there's no springing going on.

I'm just wondering if what I presume is correct - that the Allen screws should be backed out a bit, then the nuts on the inside tightened to allow the bracket to move (see photo for the inside nuts).

Is that right?

Thanks!

41Dajfop29L.jpg

don't WANT to burst any bubbles, but unfortunately it has to be done.. these forks are just for show mate. and they do THAT Well.. but yeah there is no actual pivot to allow for suspension.. recommend locking them down tight ( you'll find you've no choice ), the 1 1/8 with the excess head tube does allow for plenty of adjustability both Up & Down, however the 1" is less so..

if anybody can confirm that my logic is flawed please advise cause these would just be more awesome than they already are if I'm incorrect and they actually work as they should..

Last edited:
don't WANT to burst any bubbles, but unfortunately it has to be done.. these forks are just for show mate. and they do THAT Well.. but yeah there is no actual pivot to allow for suspension.. recommend locking them down tight ( you'll find you've no choice ), the 1 1/8 with the excess head tube does allow for plenty of adjustability both Up & Down, however the 1" is less so..

if anybody can confirm that my logic is flawed please advise cause these would just be more awesome than they already are if I'm incorrect and they actually work as they should..
Pivots are at the bottom of each leg, they do actually work...
I am sure someone on here who has one can post up a video for us...

Luke.

mate I do have both of 'em, and while they do have shoulder bolts, when backed off they just rattle, there is nothing that feels safe about it or suspension like.. like I say I hope I'm wrong as that would be fantastic! I just can't seem to find the thread I've seen in the past with the comparison to the felt or was it the monark repros..? the sunlite version is BEEFY which is what made me purchase my first one and then later the other, and I'm sure it was cause of a post I'd found on here (somewhere) but yeah as you say a video on these would be awesome..

Maybe "Chad" slowriderz will chime in if he see's this thread,he has had quite a few of these forks. I would assume he's fairly knowledgeable about them as he sell's them from time to time as well, he should have a pretty good idea. I have a set that I have not used yet that I purchased from him, so this is an interesting topic, I plan on putting mine on my Dyno Roadster, so I'm kind of interested to know myself.

If the shoulder bolts lock the rockers when they are tightened, something is wrong. An all metal locking nut could give you some adjustability and grease always helps too. I have found that there are numerous ways to fasten at a hinge point. A shoulder bolt with the proper "shoulder" area, a std. bolt using a locking nut, a std. bolt that is double nutted, a bolt that isn't fully threaded can be modified into a type of shoulder bolt also. You can simply use the non threaded area of the bolt to match the thickness of the fork and rocker plus any washers, so that when the nut is bottomed out on the threads you have a few thousandths of clearance for movement, this mechanism works very well with all metal locking nuts. Just cut off the extra threads when assembled.

okley doke folks, I Was WRONG =)

after finally tracking down this thread http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/monark-mega-sunlite-deluxe-kai-cheng-fork.74436/ and still not being satisfied I've pulled down one of these just to satisfy my own mad lil mind and yeah you can most certainly get these to swing on the pivots.. I will say that with the original hardware they are both finicky and fickle as far as I can tell.. when you get them adjusted so they do actually pivot you'll find you've definitely got some play in there that just doesn't feel right, but it can most likely be rectified with upgrades mentioned in that other thread..

I've been looking at this style for a future project.
I would need to strip it and repaint,because black won't work for me.
That being said,how do you remove the springs? Do you need a special clamp or just let em fly?

Back