dual crown/triple tree forks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo I've been eyeing a couple dual crowns for my klunker heavy duti.

I was wondering what peoples experiance is with them? Theres a couple rigids im looking at but also an old RST boinger...just wondering about people experience with them and klunking.

They look cool and function well. But they are heavy, as you can imagine.

On a bicycle, you are getting a triple tree for looks, unless you are getting a LONG travel mtb unit, even the RST will be only for looks because it won't be worth the weight added.

That being said... I LOVE triple trees on bikes, I have a couple on my bikes, one I made rigid from the clamps of a suspension triple and one straight from a mini OCC Chopper with a 26" wheel in it.

I know there won't be any huge benefits to them...I just wanna make sure its not going to fold on me haha

Dethklok said:
I know there won't be any huge benefits to them...I just wanna make sure its not going to fold on me haha

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just check it after your rides for slow bends and for kinking under the bottom mount.

The one I am using from a mini OCC chopper is on my motorized bike, it did many miles last Summer vibrating from that eBay engine and going over 30mph and no issues.

CA5EAAAC-6E9E-4648-81E6-1FB1C2A36C0D-9755-000006E138821E83.jpg

My other is the one I made, it was originally a suspension fork off of a Mongoose mountain bike, luckily, unlike some of the other cheap mountain bike triple tree suspensions, both clamps came free of the fork legs, some are welded on the bottom. I just used some tubing from tractor supply for the fork legs and made my own dropouts, this bike has been ridden off-road (not real fast) gone up and down curbs, had a few jumps and bunny hops and is still solid.

IMG_4463.jpg

Whenever I finish climbing a hill on my overweight, one-speed klunk kreation, I always kinda wish it were lighter. If'n it had a triple tree, it'd be a heckuva lot heavier. If it had a suspension fork, it'd be real heavy and also a lot bouncier...especially b/c I have to stand on the pedals to climb w/ a singlespeed. Just something to think about, if your goal is to actually klunk it up. It might look cool, if that's your thing.

As far as folding on ya, well... ot all of these things are made equally. Most of the triple trees I see are built to a thin nickel, and I wouldn't be surprised if they folded under actual klunk-use. Others are more robust. In the end, though, if you check out the Klunkin' sites and the Klunkerz movie, you'll notice that most of those guys ran rigid forks; which'd be more authentic. However, a lot of them would've run suspension if it'd been available, but that (to me) would make me want to run an honest-to-goodness mtb suspension for of decent quality.

But then, it'd have me bouncing too much on climbs. Hmmmm.

Back