dropped out spring?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok its prob gonna be a really easy answer but i've seen so old skool 80s bikes with the spring on the forks taken out to give it a rake.
has anyone done this? i tried it but the 45 degree er thingy mijig don't line up to put a bolt back though.
do you just use a 90 degree one of is there a different way??

i dont think they put the bolt back in, i think they just tighten down the bolt that holds the arms onto the steer tube.

Try to PM Poppawheelie viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83
jeffsbikes010.jpg

i made a 4 inch spacer to drop my fork down.... and i found it worked really well...

P3220113.jpg

P3220116.jpg

sum015.jpg

The lowrider sites sell extensions like the one made above. I take out the spring and find a shorter bolt to bolt the front of the fork to the little piece that goes on the steering tube. It dont let it flex and i had to put the bolt in it before i put it all back together.Im not that technical. Ita doo dads and thingy things with me!lol!

yea see the bikes id seen all have the springs on the outside too. but i cant seem to get the spring plate to sit flush with the headset piece. it looks like the turn it upside down so the 45 degree angle faces up,
hummm i might have to go have another play. i wanted to try and use traditional methods to build a real early 90s style custom job.

not missing anything...I tried with the same results. You can loosen the spring plate/strut bolts and get a little movement, but I couldnt get 'em to line up...even with the headset piece flipped...

Markm said:
not missing anything...I tried with the same results. You can loosen the spring plate/strut bolts and get a little movement, but I couldnt get 'em to line up...even with the headset piece flipped...
so its not just me then lol

thought i was just being retarded.

ive seen it on loads of bikes and all i can think is that older forks had more movement on the spring plate cos on the bikes ive seen it angles up 45 degree.

i used a motorcycle seat spring. it's only about 3 inches tall. it's not super low. just dropped a little.
i've got the other one in a box somewhere if ya wanna try that. lemme know and you can have it for a couple bucks(just to cover mailing)
and you have to go to the hardware store and get a shorter bolt.
000_0003-4.jpg

I just got another Bratz bike.This one will be a full blown Radical Lowrider.

If you flip the springer up over the head tube and spin the "crown nut" from front to back,it will bolt back together.

It steers a little bit,but it looks real cool!

I had to cut about 3" off the kickstand to make it work...its a little nub now. :mrgreen:

Back