Doodle Bug " Spe-da-way"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one like this, i dont have it home yet should be next week, can anyone tell me a little about them, i would like to know the years they were built. Thanks for any help. Sulley

1404_1_lg.jpg

This is what i have found on where they were built. sulley

Doodlebug SPE-DA-WAY Patented Beakley Ralston, Chicago

This one and the one i bought are the only ones i have ever seen, i have looked all over the net and these are it. Sulley

That ones not mine, mine is just like the red one, i will put up pictures of it today, i bought mine from a privite owner off ebay. Sulley

This is the one i bought.
435458656_o.jpg

Yea im not to sure what i want to do, i would like to keep it for my grandsons so any colors will do, if i do deside to sell it i will put it to correct colors. Sulley

can't make the scanner work so here's a couple shaky snapshots from the repro 1938 (i think) island cycle supply catalog (available through your lbs from j&b importers).

IMG_0064JPG2.jpg

IMG_0067JPG2.jpg

IMG_0063JPG2.jpg

IMG_0065JPG2.jpg

IMG_0062JPG2.jpg

OH BOY! :D

Wow thats cool, thank you so much, there a little different than mine but they are Doodle Bugs. Sulley PS and they made a racer ????

Well i got my Doodle Bug today, this thing is way cool and a lot better shape than i first thought, it is for sure a kids toy, so small, now for the big ????? , what sould i do, restore it or leave it alone, i have handles coming for the pump arm, i know they are only origianil once but i think it should be put back to look like new, please give me your thoughts, this thing is so rare, i cant find but more than two or three. Thanks for this site. Sulley

001.jpg

004.jpg

Oh no, someone undoodled my Doodle Bug, yes im going to restore it, ...... if i do ...... if i dont, i know a great pinstriper that can do that, the rest i will do, back in a few days hopefully back togeither. Sulley

028.jpg

Well i got all the oldness off it yesterday, its in really good shape, the tires are a little tired but ok, looking into have the seat decal repoped, i should be able to have it back togiether in a few days, im gona try my hand at pinstriping, we,ll see how that gos. Sulley

002-1.jpg

Got it painted today, the color look a lot brighter in the pictures, its real close to the orgianil color.
011-1.jpg

Its goin back togeither, i am having a repop decal made for the seat, this place has done some great work for me in the pass on vintage snowmobiles i restore, im gona try pinstripping the little bugger, wish me luck. Sulley PS i also found out it is from 1929.

004-2.jpg

Thank you, its been a very cool project so far.This picture shows the color better. Sulley

010-1.jpg

That thing is crazy cool. I would have kept it original, but you did a fantastic job with it. Can't wait to see it done. Where did you find a handle for it?

Back